THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone know anything about a 22-6mm

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about a 22-6mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for info on the 22-6mm wildcat. I hear that it's a long range varmint killer. Thanks in advance of any wisdom.

Posts: 44 | Location: Deer Park, WA. 99006 | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Walt Sherman @ 850 878 9563. He makes rifles in this caliber that are truly unbelievable. He ought to be able to answer any questions which you have. Ku-dude

<Kimmo E>
posted
5,6*57rws is a factoy cart. 22-7*57
4,8g bullet 1040m/s by rws

one of us
posted Hide Post
If its the one on the 6mm Reminton,it seems to be the one every one in the Varmit groups are talking about using on deer,it is called the 224 Texan

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
It is a wildcat made on the 6mm Rem (7X57mm Mauser) case. One of the earliest ones was the .22 Newton, which appeared almost a century ago!! One of the more recent ones is the 5.6X57mm RWS, which first appeared around 1963. Now we've got a guy out in Texas who has "re-invented" this cartridge, and, of course, this version performs majical feats, unlike any of the earlier versions!! Halleluliah!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a fast twist barrel (1-8) and long bullets it is a rompin-stompin long-range cartridge that bucks the wind like you can't believe.

If you are going to a slower twist barrel (1-12 or 1-14) there are a ton of others that are just as good in .22 caliber.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's a case of reinventing the wheel and calling it the 224 TTH (Texas Trophy Hunter). Here's a link to an article:
http://www.ttha.com/webstoriesresults.php?i=1

The most recent Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine has a rehash of the same article.

I grew out of shooting deer with 22's a long time ago, and quickly get tired of hearing about it now.

To each his own.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
NICKNMAN,

Mine is built on a Win Mod 70 SA with a 26" Douglass barrel 1-in-8" twist and a Hogue varmint stock. Scope is an older B&L 4000 6-20X. I keep the 75 grain AMAX bullets at 3500 fps. The cartridge is the 6mm Rem necked to .224. A single pass through the die forms it ready to load. If you're not going to shoot 70-80 grain bullets, then I'd stay with a 22-250 and a regular twist. I really like this cartridge. It's easy to load and fun/accurate to shoot. In Texas it is called the .224 T.T.H. (Texas Trophy Hunter). I have a client who has one and he claims to have killed a prairie dog at a measured and witnessed 1500 yards with his. As for me, I think the prairie dog may have died laughing at someone who would shoot at him that far away! [Big Grin] Hill Country Rifle Co. in New Braunfels, TX is building quite a few of these and I believe Clymer makes the reamers. Only the slowest powders are usually used. Hope this helps!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Christian>
posted
Hi guys! I am thinking of rebarreling a old M98 that is in 8*57 for the 5,6*57RWS and I was wondering what kind of barrellife are we talking about here? 1000 rounds more less? Personally I think that if less than a 1000 rounds I wont do it.
So please advice me.

Chris

In the land of the wikings

<eldeguello>
posted
IF you load it with reasonable loads and let it cool between shots, a 5.6X57mm barrel should last longer than 1000 rounds. If you can find some, or make some, the use of graphite wads, (like Harvey Donaldson used in the .220 Swift), it will last a LOT LONGER!!