New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mil Spec?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My nephew wants to buy an AR as an graduation gift for his fiance', who is graduating from the Police Academy in Maryland shortly. He wants me to find him one, and said to make sure it is "Mil Spec". I'm not as "up on" ARs as I am hunting rifles. I know that there are ARs chambered in 5.56, and those in .223. Is that the primary difference? I imagine it is so she can use police-issue ammunition, and qualify with the weapon.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It basically refers to the difference in measurements between commercial parts and mil spec parts. When I bought a new butt stock for my AR, I had to measure the diameter of the buffer tube to determine whether it was commercial diameter or mil spec diameter.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, are the Colt rifles mil spec?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some colt rifles are some are not. it depends on when they were made. some have larger than mil spec hammer, trigger, and pivot pins.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current Colts are pretty much considered the gold standard of the over-the-counter AR's. I would make sure that whatever you end up with has the Nato chamber and twist so that you can run true Nato spec ammo.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs-- I'm no expert on AR15's by any means. I have several and only my gunsmith knows which are mil spec and which are commercial. I just tell him what upgrade, etc I want and tell him to figure it out. Max is probably right "It just depends".

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a Colt. You can wade through 51 pages of discussions and photos here: www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Or, take a look at the chart.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As of 1 October 2013, Maryland residents are prohibited from buying AR15 rifles.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rainier Arms makes theRainier Arms RUC rifle, which is a damn sight better than a standard rifle, and they'll customize them for you. Better trigger, barrel, the forend on this one is ultralight and tough. I have a similar rifle made of parts I got from Rainier, it's awesome.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As of 1 October 2013, Maryland residents are prohibited from buying AR15 rifles.

Doc, she'll be a police officer in 2 weeks, but I'll pass that on...thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look for labeling of "mil spec plus" if it was me and it was going to be a working rifle. You do run into parts fit issues when trying to upgrade guns that are not mil spec to start with. Guns sold referred to as "mil spec plus" are often built on billet uppers and lowers with better QC on the builds and the quality of the parts.

$1500 and under I would look at the S&W M&P. Anymore than that and I'd go custom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I don't know if LEO's are exempt or not.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original design of the M-16 is a military qualified (tested) and accepted design.

All the design drawings specify the materials, dimensions, heat treatment, surface treatments, surface textures, tolerances and testing methods.

By definition a semi-auto version cannot be 100% mil spec. All parts that meet the exact drawing requirements could be considered mil-spec but the entire rifle cannot be.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
"Mil-spec" labeling on commercial rifles, especially from some of the parts sellers, can be as legally meaningless as "New and Improved" on dish soap. I see the term used all the time on parts that are not made from the same steel or aluminum alloys as U.S. Military, yet they claim it is "Mil spec". Let the buyer beware! True Mil spec means that during proofing, every bolt and barrel are magnetic particle inspected(M.P.I.) and are stamped accordingly. Most commercial rifles are Batch Tested. Colt MPI's every bolt and barrel on their commercial and military rifles and so do some of the "Boutique"(expensive) makers. A true mil spec will also have a hard chrome lined chamber and barrel and will be advertised as such, not a "Chrome-Moly" misleading label like some of the makers advertise. Do your homework and you can get a well built rifle, I always recommend Colt for an out of the box rifle and they are generally not that much more than a S&W or Bushmaster.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, looks like Colt is a pretty safe bet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6921 and I would highly recommend it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 6921

Had to look that one up. That'll work, but need one with a fixed stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs

Not sure why you need a fixed stock--if she is LE then you need adjustable stock depending on the thickness of the Bullet resistant vest you are wearing or none at all--LOP changes drastically in many instances

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may sound funny, but check wally world first when and if you decide on a Colt LE6920. The price difference may suprise you. Mine was made by Colt Defense and sold for $1050 before taxes.
Hope this helps. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True Mil spec means that during proofing, every bolt and barrel are magnetic particle inspected(M.P.I.) and are stamped accordingly.

Yes. Ditto here in the UK in World War I when civilian contractors supplied weapons off their production lines to the UK War Office.

Well a gauge inspection at that time of courese not MPI.

In fact the daybooks of Webley often have against certain Mk VI .455 revolvers the note "rejected at inspection...sold as commercial".

So in other words parts or entire revolvers that failed this inspection were sold on to the (then unaware of the practice) civilian market!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
I'm not an AR fan but I do own a RRA 20" Coyote that came with a 3/4 moa guarantee which it beats with ease & if top quality thru out. Also Walmart will never see a dime of mine. When they were waving flags about saving US jobs they were building their own plants in china. Save your dime at wally world & cost our country $1 by doing so.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote