New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO FOX .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone got any one of these rifles ?? They all seem to have set triggers and pretty nice wood work. Do they shoot as good as they look ??

The actions look very neat and in proportion to the tiny case..............

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Englander:
Anyone got any one of these rifles ?? They all seem to have set triggers and pretty nice wood work. Do they shoot as good as they look ??

The actions look very neat and in proportion to the tiny case..............

Englander

I have owned one since 1978 new, it is a great little rifle.
Will shoot about an inch if I do my part, finding the load right is what it is all about.
Have the head space checked if you plan to buy one, they are known to have problems in this area but not such a big deal.
Good luck

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a CZ-USA 527 in .22 Hornet, which is basically the same rifle. Savage sold some of the Fox rifles over here years ago, I don't think they're avalible anymore though. I love my CZ. The Hornet seems to require a little more attention to details in reloading to get it to shoot super accurate.

The things I like best about my CZ is its light weight and quiet report. It is as light as a rimfire rifle and almost as quiet as a .22 Magnum. It is very inexpensive to reload for also. It only takes 13.1 grains of Lil Gun to get the 35 grain Hornaday V-Max up to 3,000 fps. A pound of powder lasts a long time!

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I am spoilt! I have a 1958 ZK465 22H. The earlier models have more beef in the action and an all steel mag. The fit and finish was a lot better those days. The balance and handling were very good also

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that overall the CZ 527 is a better small action than the ZKW 465. It has an integral recoil lug on the action, while the ZKW has a recoil lug dovetailed into a recess on the barrel, which had to removed to achieve acceptable accuracy on my gun. My ZKW 465 is prone to rust, particularly around the trigger guard, and I have to oil it regularly, even when it never leaves the gun cabinet. I have read that the action on the ZKW was never heat treated, and th bolt lugs set back after prolonged use. The CZ has a recoil arrestment slot on the ring rail dovetail, while the ZKW is a straight dovetail. The ZKW looks prettier, but for a shooter I would choose the the CZ.

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote