Find
Notify
Tools

Big Stick...25-284 info?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Big Stick,

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me out with this .25-284 project.
I want a light weight sporter for hunting similar to your "pinky" rifle. (except for the ugly pink stock) [Smile]
I was going to go with a 1-9" twist and 24" SS barrel. REM.700 short action. I intend to use a 100gr. bullet. Possibly a 115 gr. now and then.

With your experience with your 2 rifles, what would you recomend? Or how would you have it built? 25-26" barrel,1-10" twist?

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I'm very content with the lightest of my two 25-284's and it's 23" barrel length.

It's balance is superb,the weight modest and accuracy is fantastic. Coupled with those attributes,is very nice performance,housed within that barrel length(75's at 3750fps,100's at 3400fps). I really hit that rifle on the head and it is right at the top of the heap,upon my list of favorites.

I'm going to build my 10yr old son a like chambered rifle. It will be a #1 contour,twisted 1-10" and will be 23" long. The rifle will be based upon a Rem 700 short,tucked into a McMillan Mountain Rifle patterned stock and wearing a Leupie 6x42mm in DD's or perhaps the new Talley 1pc arrangement. I really like that blueprint.

All my 25's wear a 1-10" twist rate and I've never found a reason to change and have been very pleased across the board.

Personally,I'd happily trade 3" of barrel length(opting for a 23" tube,in lieu of a 26" version of same),for a 100fps velocity loss. Balance is critical and lighter weight is always a plus,with me. Pards here have built 25-284's with 22" tubes and are quite content.

When seriously in doubt,build it long,as you can always have it bobbed back to perfectly suit you...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Big Stick,

I called today and the barrel maker had sujested a 1 in 10 as well. 24" SS barrel.

I will let you now when I get the gun.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote