THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Here is my new sako browning 243.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here is my new sako browning 243.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
can anybody tell me what model sako it is built on ?

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
Nice TJ. You'll enjoy that one. It should have been built on the Forester L57 or L579 action. My Sako manlicher 243 is L579 and my regular stocked Sako 243 is a L57 action. The earlier "Rihiimaki" actions, had a square piece on the rear of bolt rather than round like yours. They are Accurate with a capital A!

Posts: 1560 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Safaris were built earlier on the FN Mauser in all calibers, then later on the Sako L579 in .243, .308, .22-250, and a few in .284 Win. They were never built on the earlier L57.

Your's has a pad added, as these models only came with a plastic buttplate. They came both with and without iron sights. Your's has no rear sight, but the picture cuts off the front of the barrel so I can't tell if there is a front sight.

As opposed to the Mausers, the Sakos had steel rather than alloy bottom metal -- a nice improvement. Your "pencil barrel" model should weigh in at around 6 1/2 lbs. I believe that the barrel as well as the action was made by Sako, but I have never been able to corroborate that. They were stocked by FN, so be cautious of salt wood. If the buttplate screws show no signs of rust, then you're fine.

That 2.5-8 Leupold is a first class choice of scopes for this rifle.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info guys,
No front site, and I figured that pad was an add on, only a wimp would add a pad to a .243, I suppose it could have been cut short for a child and then the pad added for length as the kid grew.
I have put together some hand loads and will do up some more , using sierra 100 grain speer 90 and barnes 85 gr t-shocks.
I expect I will be able to pick a servicable load from that bunch, ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
by the way the barrel says made in finland

freedom1st