Find
Notify
Tools

How do you
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
get someone that insists on using a varmint bullet in a 243 to shoot deer through the shoulders to use an appropriate bullet, especially to make shoulder shots?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forget trying to talk him into using an appropriate bullet, talk him into using an appropriate caliber.

I have killed a truckload of deer with the .243 and think gold dust of the caliber / cartridge. But IMHO it is too lite for deer. Steer him toward a .308 or 7mm.08.

Flame on.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
Forget trying to talk him into using an appropriate bullet, talk him into using an appropriate caliber.

I have killed a truckload of deer with the .243 and think gold dust of the caliber / cartridge. But IMHO it is too lite for deer. Steer him toward a .308 or 7mm.08.

Flame on.

It is my dad that is doing this. He's shooting 65 grain v-max's. He's been shooting deer way before I was born with a 243 and never had one get away from him with it. So the problem is not the caliber.
He's just got this wild hair the last few years to use the lightest most explosive bullets that he can.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I know folks that swear by the .220 swift for deer hunting and it just works for them.

I say let your dad go deer hunting. You made your point. Let it drop. Go hunting. He bought the license and he can hunt anyway he wants. You have not been appointed "the bullet God" so shut up and enjoy the hunt with the dad. Someday he'll be gone and you'll be glad you listened to old Duik!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well for one in some states it is not legal to use that light of a bullet. Here in Colorado I believe the wording references at least .24 caliber and a bullet weighing at least 70 grains for antelope and deer. But then again trying to quote the reg's to your dad may not be effective either. Maybe try to convince him to at least lung shoot them instead of shoulders, tell him about your sudden craving for slow roasted shoulder blade roast or some other "BS" to sway him. The .243 is more than adequate it truly is a fine deer rifle but that's with adequate bullets, if you can't get him to stop shooting varmint bullets get him to at least lung shoot them.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give it up. Folks that insist on using a .243 and some lite for calibre, boy howdy look what I can do bullet have their own agenda.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duikerman:
I know folks that swear by the .220 swift for deer hunting and it just works for them.

I say let your dad go deer hunting. You made your point. Let it drop. Go hunting. He bought the license and he can hunt anyway he wants. You have not been appointed "the bullet God" so shut up and enjoy the hunt with the dad. Someday he'll be gone and you'll be glad you listened to old Duik!

Speaking of the 220 swift. Yesterday my dad let my 12 year old nephew who shoots as good or better than most people I know shoot a doe at about 250 yards with dad's 220 and 55gr ballistic tips through both shoulders and dropped it in it's tracks.

I believe though like duikerman and iwzbeeman I will just give it up and let him use what he wants.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod,

Don't make a argument out of it as you want to get along with your dad. The thing is that lots of us take wild shots, shoot too far and don't use enough gun. It's almost out of hand now with the longrange hunting forums as they compliment each other.

Sure it can be done and lots of people do stuff they should not do with cars etc.

I have an old friend who insists on shooting deer with a 223. I suppose it makes him super in some eyes. I try and it bothers me some but.........

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:

No flame from me. You couldn't be more right. Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Let him track and drag his own mistakes.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a lot of deer with a 225 Win many years ago and upgraded to the 243 and killed several deer without a problem but later upgraded to the 7m08 and would not think of backing down to the little calibers again. They will kill but for 24 yrs now the 7m08 has done an outstanding job and will always be my deer slayer.
Good Luck with your friend.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You can't teach people common sense (no insult meant to your father) Some people learn from their own mistakes but most won't learn from other's mistakes.

I've used the 243 successfully on deer sized game but the lightest bullet I use is the 85 grain Nosler Partition.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
My Dad used a .30-06 for as long as I can remember. Recently he switched to using a .243 because he doesn't wiggle as much with it. The '06 was getting heavy I suppose. He has used a couple differnt bullets but the 100gr Nosler Partition has done everything it's supposed to, and no lost animals.

The time you get with your Dad is way shorter than you'll understand until he's gone. Don't let his choice in bullets ruin things between you.

If he's a speed freek then suggest some Barnes TSX, or Groove bullets of a lighter weight. He'll still get the speed but the bullets will break both shoulders. Unfortunately it may take a wounded deer to get him to listen to a suggestion. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote