THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Lapua is making .223 match cases

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua is making .223 match cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And the internal capacity is bigger than there regular .223 cases. With case to case consistency.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THese have been available for a while. Apparently, a Lapua "match" .223 case will weigh about 95grs, as opposed to about 105 grs for a "pre-match" Lapua case.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.366torque & Mho: I just last week bought 100 Lapua 223 Remington Match cases! I have not used this Lapua Match brass before
I bought the brass for a new Rifle I bought in 223.
The Rifle is one of the new Remington XR-100's in 223 Remington. I mounted a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope on it. I have adjusted the trigger to a very crisp 1 pound 8 ounces and I intend to wring every bit of accuracy I can get out of this set-up once I begin load testing.
My question to you fellows is: will the lighter weight brass in your opinions, cause me any problems with published loading data?
I would appreciate any insights you or anyone else can forward my way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Lapua brass will have a capacity closer to, say, Winchester brass.

I don't know off hand what a Win case weighs, but expect the Lapua to weigh just below 95 grs. Compare that to the weight of a case you have used before, this should give you a good idea of whether reduced loads are called for.

I personally expect you can use standard loads in the new Lapua brsss. In any event, you'll have to work up loads, and look for pressure signs. But at least a weight comparison will allow you to gauge your initial max load for testing purposes.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mho: Thanks Mike for your observations and advice!
I just yesterday loaded up the first few of these Lapua Match Brass with some Berger 52 grain bullets. I am hoping to get some good accuracy out of this new 223 (Remington XR-100) and will advise once I get the barrel broke in and the slightly reduced loads tested.
I have a double large stash of Federal FMJ factory ammo for barrel break in and by the looks of the weather reports, that could happen as soon as tomorrow here in SW Montana.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote