New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey HC, New Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well HC, we talked quite a bit about different rifles over on that thread I had about changing up my aresenal, so I thought I would show you what I ended up with. I did get all my Encore stuff sold, have the last barrel leaving tomorrow. It gave me enough for a new rifle, and to send my 7x57 down to Tip Burns for a re-barrel. He has had that rifle for two weeks now.

But more to the point... Even though I looked hard at your beloved Remingtons (which I do like), I ended up with a CZ527 American M1. Everyone I talk to sings praises on how well they shoot, and to me that is the ultimate test of a rifle, so it got the nod. Walnut stock, 22" blued barrel on a micro Mauser action. Weight is 6.2 lbs with the factory rings on it. It has a single set trigger adjustable for weight, pre-travel, and over-travel. The barrel is floated, and the wood is actually alot nicer than what the picture shows. I can take better pics than that, I was just in a hurry this morning. Checkering is nice and crisp. It came with both the flush 3 round mag and the extended 5 round mag.

I got it yesterday afternoon and mounted the scope last night. Shot a couple rounds this morning just setting the scope, and it acts like it is really going to shoot. The factory test target was a 3 shot, 5/16 ctc group at 50m. The barrel seemed to clean easy last night as well.

There are a couple things for anyone who is buying one of these should know though. First off, the safety is backwards from about everything else. Fire is to the rear. Second thing is the bolt handle could be turned down a bit more as well. I mounted the scope I intended to put on there, and the bolt would barely drag the eyepiece as it came back. I had to swap things around a little bit and put a different one on there. Eventually I imagine it will end up with a mid-size Leupy with a varmit reticule.

Anyways, I thought you might be interested in what route I ended up taking.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congats on the rifle.I had one for a while to work up some loads for and it will shoot.We put a burris 3x9 on it and he has carried it in his truck since getting it back.I just can't figure out why the contary safty.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
What caliber is it ????????
I sure do like those 527 s

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gumboot, it is a .223. I had tons of bullets, brass primers, etc for it laying around, so it was a natural caliber choice.

Here are the first 7 rounds to go down the bore. The four on the left are scope adjustment shots. That is a 3 shot group on the right, shot at 50 yards. I am moving out to 100 this evening, but I had my box at 50 checking scope POI and just had to shoot a group. It is right at .25 CTC. And the loads aren't tuned loads or anything, just some mild foul shot ammo I had loaded up for a different rifle I used to have.

I do believe she is gonna shoot. thumb

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JTP, Glad to hear you were able to move-out the Encore stuff so quickly. I agree with you about the Accuracy making any rifle look good or bad. But, that is indeed a nice looking rifle. Is that a Termite hiding in the checkering? Big Grin

A man without a 223Rem is really missing out. I like mine more each and every time I handle it. Looks like you have a fine start on it being a real shooter. Looking forward to seeing tiny single holes like that from you at 100yds. thumb

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. Ya thats some nice accuracy for a regular rifle , especially with a non tuned load . WOW ... I finally cleaned my 223 the other day .. I finally had got a 5/8" 100 yard group with it .. I,m going to try my primary hunting load , hope it shoots nice also ... .. If I can ever figure out the mill dots I will know where to hold on a running shot or in the wind .... and at 400 yards .................
... That is assuming I see animals to shoot ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha. Termite indeed. rotflmo

I realize what we discussed were stainless synthetic rifles, but in the end the wood pulled me in. I will have to get a better pic this evening with a real camera, it really is a much more beautiful rifle than that.

I already have the target set up for in the morning at 100, but wanted to clean it good before any more rounds went down it. I cleaned it last night, and shot 3 this morning. Cleaned it at lunch and shot 4 this afternoon. Gonna try and kepp cleaning evry three to five rounds for a little while and get that barrel broke in nice. I can shoot right out behind the shop here at work, my BIL owns the land behind us. Makes it very convenient.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
If I can ever figure out the mill dots ...
Hey Gumboot, Here is a link on "How to use Mil-Dot Scopes" that I wrote for the Board. The normal Mil-Dot Instructions make them appear to be much harder to use and way more complex than they really are. The Link is real long because I wanted to cover it from multiple directions.

The last time DRG re-set the software, the inch sign ( " ) got all out of whack in the Link. Where you see some goofey characters after a number, like this 5″ it is supposed to be the ( " ) sign and that would be 5".

In the end, actually shooting to see where a Mil-Dot is properly aligned, is still required as it is with any Scope Reticle. But, the Instructions should help a person realize Mil-Dots are not very complex.
-----

Hey JTP, Yes indeed, being able to shoot right where you work is a great advantage. And with the days as long as they are right now, you should have plenty of time after work.

They are reporting up here that a lot of your all's trees are not going to make it due to the heat and dry conditions. Hopefully you all will get some rain soon. But being able to carry the rifle inside to cool off is a fine advantage indeed.

Will you be Benchmarking it with Match Grade Bullets, to see just how accurate it is? What Powder(s) are you going to start with?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new "shooter"!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob.

Hey HC, this morning off a wiggly bench (gotta tighten it up some), it put 4 shots into .65 @ 100. That was four rounds of my "generic" 55 grain/AA2230 reload, and the first shot was out of a cold clean barrel. And did I mention how nice this barrel cleans?

I will start with AA2230, 'cause I have a pretty good jag of it laid back. Also have a pound of IMR4198 to try as well. And I sure wouldn't mind trying W748, Benchmark, or Varget as well, but don't have any on hand. First bullet up will be 50 grn Blitzkings. Also have 50&55 V-maxes, 52 A-Max, 52 Speer HP, and 500 or so of the Rem 55 sp I got at an estate sale for $2 a hundred. They make good practice ammo for the kids.

Once I get some charge weights sorted out, I will probably try some Bergers or something just to see what it will really do. This little rifle really has me intrigued so far as to what it might really be capable of.

And yes, it has been a touch hot and dry this year. I am up in the panhandle though, and we have gotten some rain at least. But it has been a few weeks, and things are really starting to yellow off now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your write up will be the final push needed for me to order a 527 left hand in .223.

Thanks for your report!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTPinTX:
Thanks Bob.

Hey HC, this morning off a wiggly bench (gotta tighten it up some), it put 4 shots into .65 @ 100. That was four rounds of my "generic" 55 grain/AA2230 reload, and the first shot was out of a cold clean barrel. And did I mention how nice this barrel cleans?

I will start with AA2230, 'cause I have a pretty good jag of it laid back. Also have a pound of IMR4198 to try as well. And I sure wouldn't mind trying W748, Benchmark, or Varget as well, but don't have any on hand. First bullet up will be 50 grn Blitzkings. Also have 50&55 V-maxes, 52 A-Max, 52 Speer HP, and 500 or so of the Rem 55 sp I got at an estate sale for $2 a hundred. They make good practice ammo for the kids.

Once I get some charge weights sorted out, I will probably try some Bergers or something just to see what it will really do. This little rifle really has me intrigued so far as to what it might really be capable of.

And yes, it has been a touch hot and dry this year. I am up in the panhandle though, and we have gotten some rain at least. But it has been a few weeks, and things are really starting to yellow off now.

JTP

My new CZ 223 is in the Full stock and I had it at the range yesterday for the first time. I used the Win varmint 45gr load and shot some dandy groups. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK- I ain't one to push anyone over the cliff or anything.....but have a nice trip! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Fasteel- I think I am really going to enjoy this rifle... My only complaint is that backwards safety. I braced up my bench this morning, may have to pop another group this afternoon after I clean it at lunch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JTP, Are you sure a CZ barrel will last that many shots???!!?!?!?! rotflmo

Yes indeed, it is easy to get excited about a new rifle, and ESPECIALLY one which is shooting that well from the beginning with "generic Loads". Eeker
-----

By the way, I must commend you on the old "wiggly bench (gotta tighten it up some)", excuse. I've not used it in a couple of years. Big Grin I'll have to keep it in mind. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well HC, finally got back from vacation, maybe I'll get to go out tomorrow and see if it will shoot. I have a couple of ladders loaded up to shoot so we will see how it goes. And I bolted some extra braces on the legs of my bench, they tightened things up alot, so I don't have that excuse any more. And in all reality it probably didn't really affect me, it just felt bad shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vacation??? You should be on the second barrel by now. clap

Fixed an "Excuse"? You can always say one of the new Braces came loose. thumb

To hear folks tell it, if a CZ won't shoot well(don't consider this mental pressure Big Grin) it has to be the Trigger Yanker!!! I figure they are Full-of-Beans. Probably just the RUST and TERMITES changing things around a bit. At least they provide Legitimate excuses. animal

Best of luck with the Testing. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a ladder test for ya. CHEEP Remington 55 grn PSP's, Accurate 2230, Fed primers, and seated who knows how far off the lands. This test was loaded up for the short-throated Encore I no longer own. Range was 185 yards.

I think high node is going to be in the mid to high 25's. That load will be fairly hot, about as high as I would want to comfortably go. Shots 9,10, and 11 went into 1.375", which if I do my math right should extrapolate out to .763 MOA @ 185. I have some higher quality stuff loaded up to test here soon.

Looks like it has potential as a good economical practice load for the kids. This test was rounds 16-29 down the bore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, looking good with the Inexpensive Bullets. The only problem about using them during Development, some of the Group Opening may be attributed to simply the Bullet and not have anything to do with the Harmonic.

But, since you had them on the shelf, it makes sense to give them a "shot". Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. My theory is to use the cheap ones to get close, then swap over to the good ones to fine tune, therby saving some of my good bullets. Sometimes being cheap can cost you though. Big Grin Another component of this ladder test was just to see how this rifle was handling pressure, and it seems to be fairly normal for the .223's I have dealt with.

The test seems to show what I expected to see. In my experience Accurate 2230 seems to shoot best right up near the top end. I think I am going to load some 3-shot groups using a 55 V-max, starting about 24.5 and coming up in .3 grain increments, and see what that looks like.