Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x57 dilema
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
I have a 1982 Rem 700 LA looking for a new barrel to call home! It is currently chambered in a 26" Lilja 30-06AI but haven't shot it in over 2 yrs. I was thinking 6.5x57. Any problems with that wildcat in the action? I also have a sweet Rem 700 CDL SF Limited 260 Rem, 24" barrel. Any use messing with the 6.5x57?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the 6.5X57 is best with a long or intermediate action. I have one in a Steyr Prohunter. I can handload to about 50 to 100fps more than I get with a Sako AV in 6.5X55. It will out perform the 260 especially with the heavier bullets. It has all of the atributes of any 6.5, a bit more than the 6.5X55 not quite 6.5-06, but more than a 260.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nah!! You've got a 260 so no need to mess with anything else in the 6.5 category. Easy to load for, exceptional accuracy at extended ranges, more than enough "umph" to handle deer sized critters at hunting distances and paper and plates at long range..........no need for another 6.5MM chambering. Now what would be interesting to me with your stuff n hand would be a 280AI. You've got the action length, you've got the strength of action, now just step it up a few thousandths(20 to be exact) and have at it!! The 6x57(6MM Remington for those of you in Rio Linda) is an exceptional little beast but the 6.5MM has already been dine a bunch of times. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite round...
I neck up 257 Roberts Brass ( Winchester)...

I have one built on a long action Model 70... not to dispute Charlie ( GHD) above, but in a long action, it can show improved performance over a 260 in a short action.. I can say that, owning three different 260s...and two more barrels to go on other actions...

I was looking for a long range antelope and target shooting round in 6.5 mm...

At the time, I had the luxury of being able to play with other chamberings in other friends 6.5 mm rifles..

I also own several 6.5 x 55s..so I am familiar with what that cartridge can accomplish also..

Already testing my own 260s, I borrowed a friends 6.5 x 284....then another friends 6.5/06 and another friends 6.5/06 AI..

I decided to to with the 6.5x 57, as I could neck up the Roberts brass..I also did so, that in case I didn't get what I wanted I could still rechamber to a 6.5/06..

point being, I never had to...the 6.5 x 57 on a long action, with bullets seated to magazine legnth allowed me to match and at times even exceed 6.5/06 Velocities..

tesing I came to the conclusion, AI'ing a 6.5/06 wasnt' worth the effort as the 6.5/06 out performed it in velocity potential...by a slight edge...

The 6.5 x 57 did so well against the 6.5 /06, because according to my observations...the bullet protruded into the 06 case enough, that powder capacities for that and the 6.5 x 57 were almost identical...

in the 06 version, the case contains much of the bullet within the case...in the 6.5 x 57, the bullet is outside the case instead...so your powder capacity is close to the same..

I put a 28 inch PacNor barrel on mine with a one in 8 twist..in a heavy magnum contour...

with 120 and 140 grain match bullets it is more than up to the task of accurate shooting at 1000 yd targets...

contrary to common practice....I find using 4064, IMR 4895, RL 15, Varget, W748, BLC2...powders in that burn rate actually gave me better velocity and accuracy, than the 4350-4831 powder burn rates gave me...

I think RL 17 would also be a good powder to try....especially with some of the Lapua 123 grain Scenar match bullets.....

as much as I love the 260s and 6.5 x 55s..If Ihad to let go of all of my 6.5 stuff except one, the cartridge I'd keep is the 6.5 x 57...

the final cool thing I like about it, besides its rarity among shooters in North America... is the age of the round... dating back to the late 19th century...

it is definitely a balanced round..without a lot of recoil...

I let some FBI Sharpshooters shoot mine once at the range. and they loved it...they noticed it shot flatter than their issued 300 Win Mag with 180 grain Ballistic Tips...and had a whole heck of a lot less recoil..

if I could only keep one of my big game rifles it would be this one...

If I could keep two, my choices would be this caliber and my 338/06...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I figured you be along to throw in your 2 cents. The 6.5x57 has always just seemed "in the balance" between a full length '06 case and a short '08 case, of which I have both. Now to find a 'smith to chamber a future Lilja barrel. Any suggestions? Looking at PacNor's site I see no reamer on their list.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want just a "wee" bit more---260 AAR [All-Around-Rifle] is just the 6.5X57 blown out to the "IMP" version! Wonderful cartridges--BOTH of them.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Seafire,

I figured you be along to throw in your 2 cents. The 6.5x57 has always just seemed "in the balance" between a full length '06 case and a short '08 case, of which I have both. Now to find a 'smith to chamber a future Lilja barrel. Any suggestions? Looking at PacNor's site I see no reamer on their list.

Alan

Alan,

I went with a Pac Nor...it is one their wildcat list...

I ordered a barrel blank, and it was chambered and finished by Kevin Wyatt out of Medford Oregon...who I highly recommend to anyone...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Looking at the Pac-nor site, I see "6.5x57,rimmed". I assume the (,) means they chamber both rimless and rimmed?

I think it might be prudent to use the 6.5x57 reamer instead of the 6.5x257 Roberts reamer so that if I can only find the 7x57 brass instead of the 257 Roberts brass I'll still be in business. Thoughts?

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP.
You can get 6.5X57 brass from RWS. I have about 90 of them, I think.
it aint cheap, but since I soot the roberts and the 7X57 I think it,s a good Idea to have the proper head stamp...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
How is the weight and wall thickness consistency of the RWS brass?

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RWS brass is excellent, very consistant. As good or better than Lapua or Norma. It is getting very very hard to find however. Huntinton's told me that RWS is no longer importing brass. I bought 100 rounds and about cleaned them out.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seafire,

Looking at the Pac-nor site, I see "6.5x57,rimmed". I assume the (,) means they chamber both rimless and rimmed?

I think it might be prudent to use the 6.5x57 reamer instead of the 6.5x257 Roberts reamer so that if I can only find the 7x57 brass instead of the 257 Roberts brass I'll still be in business. Thoughts?

Alan

either way Alan...

like about any caliber I shoot, I invest in a couple sets of dies for the round..

in this one, I have RCBS, Forrester and a Lee...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to ask why or make a suggestion...

I will ask what you are going to do with the 30-06 barrel you are going to take off?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any problems with that wildcat

Now I don't know exactly what configuration you are planning, but normally the 6.5x57 is not thought of as a "wildcat"! After all, it has been a factory (CIP) cartridge for umpteen years...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Any problems with that wildcat

Now I don't know exactly what configuration you are planning, but normally the 6.5x57 is not thought of as a "wildcat"! After all, it has been a factory (CIP) cartridge for umpteen years...

- mike

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the first smokeless round?
I have had two rifles in this superb round.
One a full wood M98 and the other a fluted barrel for my Blaser R93.
Although I have Dies for the 6.5x57, I was lucky enough to get hold of a large amount of the excellent RWS 127grn Cone Point ammo.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Allan, this is Alan, the one who spells his name correctly. rotflmo My FIL spells his Allen.

Hadn't thought of what do do with my '06 Ackley Improved barrel. It's still a very nice 3-groove, 1:11 Lilja SS barrel; 26" finished length, turned to a tooth pick (.550" at the muzzle). With 180 BT's and Rel 25 I shot a 4-1/4" 818 yd group w/ it. Killed a Utah spike elk @ 225 yd with it 2 yr ago and almost took it to Alaska last year w/ intent to use 200 Part for Grizzly. Took the 9.3x62 instead and killed a 62" moose with my 45 Colt @ 15 yds. If I get back to Alaska, to kill a Grizz, before too long, I might keep it. We'll see. I'll contact you if I plan to loose it before too long.

Alan

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the first smokeless round?

The 1886 Lebel was the first smokeless Military round.
IIRC the 7X57 and 6.5X 55 followed shortly there after. (1892)
As did the 30-40 (1892), 30-30 & .303 (1895)

(edit: I forgot the 8x57 (1888) and 7.65X53 in 1889)

I have heard the 6.5X57 called the first smokeless European sporting cartridge , but I can't prove it.

quote:
Originally posted by Bohica:
If you want just a "wee" bit more---260 AAR [All-Around-Rifle] is just the 6.5X57 blown out to the "IMP" version! Wonderful cartridges--BOTH of them.
Aloha, Mark

Have had both and the R version-- all excellent choices.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swede wasn't until 1894 (note my username Big Grin Wink)