New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage has arrived
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well at long last my Ruger International in 250 Savage is at my house. It is a stainless over walnut with a fairly nice piece of straight grain wood. A very light weight rifle that now needs a new scope. The placement and height of the rear sight are going to limit scope choices, unless I remove the rear sight. I knew I shouldn't have traded that Conquest for those AC/DC tickets.
Regards greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice Ruger.. but i would not have traded a broke scope & a bent barrel for AC/DC ticket

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
A Leupold compact in 2-7 or 3-9 would be the ticket for that rifle and would probably avoid sight interference as well.
Maybe a set of lever rings (quick detach) to fit the Ruger bases and then go ahead and sight in the irons too.
Good luck with that rifle.

I also just mounted a Bausch&Lomb 3200 in 2-7 on a buddies rifle that would be sweet for your set up as well.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just love my 250. I have only shot two deer with it but both were DRT. (dead right there).

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Model 7MS from the custom shop in .250 Savage. As Els noted, the deer I've shot with it were dead right there. I topped it with a Leupold VariXIII 1.5-5 scope and am delighted with the combination. Can't say if the same scope would work on the Ruger without the rear sight interfering, but it's where I'd start for that rifle if it were mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .250 is one of my must try cartridges. I've got an old sporter M93 I've been thinking of putting a .250 barrel on. I'll probably just wind up throwing a new barrel on my Encore however.

I agree with Snellstrom on the scope power ranges.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I don't think you quite understand how things work around here.

You see, we need pics of the new rifle. It just doesn't exist without pics!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
You see, we need pics of the new rifle.

Yeah! Big Grin

Just a thought - you could mount the scope higher. My scopes are so high that folks look twice! But it does make for very comfortable shooting and it happens to extend the 'point blank' range a little. Perfect for low recoiling rifles.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote