THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    optimum barrel length for a 222 Remington

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

optimum barrel length for a 222 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell me the best length barrel for a 222 Remington ,that being ,the most efficient,, for max velocity ,burning of powder etc, thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longer the bullet stays in the barrel, more speed it gets - to a certain point. Depends on bore diameter & amount of powder. Magnums would be well over 30", 222 probably 27'-28'. Just makes an impractical scenario; nose heavy, terrible balance, etc. Don't think velocity gains over 24" in 222 would be worth getting excited about. reloadersnest.com - 30 gr @ 4144, 40 gr @ 3613. Safe loads in their gun. 23' barrel. You can hot-rod the hell out of it, but barrel life will suffer.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old 722 had a 26" barrel in 222. It was a tack driver with max charge or RL-7

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe .222 in the CZ 527 22" barrel does everything I exspected it to do.On a calm day, with a steady rest and the blood pressure down three to fourhunderd yard fairly accurate shooting is doable.The performance will not change much if the barrel were 3" longer. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
My old 722 had a 26" barrel in 222. It was a tack driver with max charge or RL-7

Currently have two of those old Rem 722's in 222 Rem.
Never did any Chronographing of the loads, but each one is flat accurate, one with IMR-4198 and the other RL-7; both shooting about every bullet made in the 50-52 grain weight class very well. They may not look good, but they don't take second place in the accuracy department. One shot a 1/4" group and the other a .187 group at 100 yards. These are 3 shot groups using 20X scopes. In fact, they are boringly accurate.. Big Grin And that's avery good thing... clap

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an old 40x 222 Br model with 27" barrel and a custom with 24" barrel use the same load in both rifle.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
My Mannlicher Luxus had a 24" barrel. I had it chopped back to 21". I cannot see any practical difference. With a 100m zero, drop at 200m is the same.

I have never shot it through a chronograph.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a educated guess (make that a W.A.G.), I think once you go beyond 24", you're wasting time and barrel. "IF" you made any gain at all, it would be mostly smoke and mirrors.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Optimum" is the right concept, but in order to define it you have to specify the usage. A rifle for carry (walking varminter)? A "truck" gun for quick action? A heavy varmint/target gun for bench use?

The length of barrel should be somewhat proportional to the speed of powders that the cartridge uses. The .222 uses relatively quick powders compared to most centerfires, so it doesn't need as long a barrel (as say a .220 Swift) to provide acceptable velocities and muzzle blast.

A 20" barrel is plenty for a carry rifle; a 24" barrel provides adequate velocity and sufficiently diminished muzzle blast for a bench gun. But remember, people who compete in the "light varmint" bench class with this cartridge will frequently use only a 20" barrel in order to put more thickness/stiffness into the barrel and still remain within the weight limit -- and they win a lot of competitions.

I suspect that even with the relatively small, fast powder charges of the .222 that you would continue to gain velocity in a barrel of 32 to 36 inches or more before velocities started downward due to barrel friction (and muzzle blast would be markedly lowered). But is a three foot long barrel "optimal". For most uses, of course not.

Bottom line: One has to assume that you are not seeking maximum possible velocities, otherwise you would simply use a larger cartridge. If that is true, then typically as you shorten the barrel to less than 20" you get significantly more muzzle blast and begin to loose enough velocity to matter. Conversely, if a barrel is much longer than 24" you get less velocity gain with each additional each and quickly reach the point of meaningless returns for the additional length.

So, take your choice of any reasonable length; it won't matter much to the performance of the cartridge.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbNice posting, Stonecreek. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek said it all, for any practical purpose. Only I can add that benchresters (at one time) found 21-3/4" to produce the largest percentages of Tony Boyer's "hummers". That is old info and maybe either caliber-specific or superceded since Reagan was president. Anyone know?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote