New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem CDL limited
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering if any of you fellow have any information about this rifle in 257 Roberts? Anyone bought or shot one?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. But I have a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 257 Roberts. The balance is superb, and with the right load it shoots well to.
The new one you mention is a Stainless Steel rig.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eeeeooooooyyyyyy thumbdown

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've spent a little time behind the CDL limited in .270win. I really liked the rifle. It was accurate, the stock fit me well and the fit and finish was very nice. I would love to own the same rifle chambered in .257 Roberts.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Our family has 2 CDL's. One in a .243 and another in a .300Win Mag. Both seem to shoot better than average groups and feel superb.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One was next to me at the range about a month ago. Handsome looking rifle. The guy was shooting Hornady Light Mag 117 rounds. He was shooting just over 1 inch groups at 100. He said it was becoming one of his favorite rifles.

I've had my eye out for the 2008 ltd in 260, but had to spend my $ elsewhere so the search is on hold for now.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Limited CDL in 260 and love it. If the 257 is as good and I imagine it is you will be very happy with one.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 270, 30-06, 300RUM CDL's -- lefty versions Roll Eyes All shoot very well and fit and finish was excellent. Stocks were purty but needed bedding.

I've since had all of them trued and restocked with the 30-06 turned into an AI. All of them shoot 5 shot .5's. The 300RUM shoots like a dream w. 200gr Accubonds.

If you cannot bed the stock the be leary. The 270 was all over the place. Now she is a MOA 10 shot shooter w. 140gr Sierra GameKings. Just started with the 130gr Interbonds from Hornady. Looking good to go as well -- so far anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe this might be the rifle in question?

I walked into my favorite gunshop and saw it on the rack. What immediately caught my attention was the wood. I already had two other "bobs" and the last thing I needed was another one. However, this one was calling to me, I have learned not to hesitate when that happens. They had two of them and the other one looked like a red headed step child next to this one. So I grabbed it. Although I haven't wrung it out, it shoots both 100 gr. partitions and 110 gr accubonds just under an inch at 100 yds, with my loads. Beautiful rifle, and it handles well. I like the externally adjustable trigger. Have it set at 2.5 lbs. Breaks crisp and clean. Not bad for a factory trigger.
The only negative to date is that it seems to be short chambered, in that you really have to crank down on the sizing die. I didn't discover this until I tried to chamber some of the reloads that fit in my Sako l579 and Ruger hawkeye. They wouldn't chamber. I checked out some factory brass and it would barely chamber with some effort. Kind of a drag but nothing insurmountable. Hadn't got to bloody it yet as there are several in line before it. Gonna do a meat hunt for does in January. Probably will use it then
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two of the CDL Stainless/ Fluted Special Editions. One is the 2008 model 260 and the other is the 2007 model in 17 Fireball. The fit and finish of both were good as they came from the factory. During barrel break-in, the 260 was turning in 3 shot groups in the .2's with either me or my wife shooting it. With pretty much any 120 grain projectile I choose, it's a legitimate 5 shot under an inch rifle which is plenty good for the whitetails here in the east. I will restock it so that I do not hurt the pretty wood! Pull ropes and ladder stands tend to have an effect on wood stocks! As for the 17 Fireball, it's a fun little shooter. I did replace the wood stock on it after barrel break-in, load developement and one trip afield. I replaced it with a Hogue Overmolded with the pillars and it shoots the 25 grain VMAXS into .3"-.4" for extended periods without having to clean the "17 cal" barrel very often! So with that said, my experience with the CDL Stainless/Fluteds has been a positive one. One of these years they'll make it in 25-06 and I'll have one of them too! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya -- mann after my own heart w. that Conquest!!! i LOVE EM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biscut,
funny how things work. When I first started buying rifles and scopes, I bought good used rifles but "cheap" scopes. Over a period of time I started trading up both rifles and glass. Ive gone through the high maginificaton phase. Most of my deer and hog killing is 250 yds and under. Most of my varmint shooting are critters I call in with my fx3 caller and I shoot under 50 yards. I now tend to buy 2.5 x 8 up to 3.5 x 10.
In the past the vari X- III or vari-x3 in 2.5 x 8 x 36 has been my favorite. Its bright and lite. The duplex reticle subtension can be used as a range finder. However the last two scopes I have bought have been the Zeiss conquest 2.5 x 8's. I perceive them to be brighter than the leupolds and I like the way the euro eye focus works as opposed to leupold.
I use either my binos or a spotting scope to identify whether the animal is a shooter if there is any question. I usually set the power about 5x and work up or down from there. I find that the narrow field of view and the excessive reticle play at higher magnifications detracts from my shot placement if I'm not careful.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB:

I have Nightforce, Swarovski, Conquest, and Zeiss Davari lines. IMO Conquests line offers a huge bang for your buck comapred to the rest.

I have a pair of 15x Conquest binocs -- fantastic clarity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I believe this might be the rifle in question?

I walked into my favorite gunshop and saw it on the rack. What immediately caught my attention was the wood. I already had two other "bobs" and the last thing I needed was another one. However, this one was calling to me, I have learned not to hesitate when that happens. They had two of them and the other one looked like a red headed step child next to this one. So I grabbed it. Although I haven't wrung it out, it shoots both 100 gr. partitions and 110 gr accubonds just under an inch at 100 yds, with my loads. Beautiful rifle, and it handles well. I like the externally adjustable trigger. Have it set at 2.5 lbs. Breaks crisp and clean. Not bad for a factory trigger.
The only negative to date is that it seems to be short chambered, in that you really have to crank down on the sizing die. I didn't discover this until I tried to chamber some of the reloads that fit in my Sako l579 and Ruger hawkeye. They wouldn't chamber. I checked out some factory brass and it would barely chamber with some effort. Kind of a drag but nothing insurmountable. Hadn't got to bloody it yet as there are several in line before it. Gonna do a meat hunt for does in January. Probably will use it then
GWB

GW;

Nice Snag!

a gunsmith can cure that little short chambered problem in a hurry..

that is one gorgeous set up... and I am not usually a Remington MAN... GO with Winchester first...

and now warming up to Savage functionality..

but that CDL is just plain class...

would love one of those, and then the one in 260 mentioned by Charlie right below your post..

I am also not a Conquest fan...guess I am a NOT INVENTED here kind when it comes to scopes...

but your set up is an exception...

as the saying goes... It even LOOKS right!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote