THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    257 Roberts in a Savage - Advice needed

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts in a Savage - Advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Gentlemen,

I'd like to put together a combo that I just can't buy off the shelf. The goal is an affordable, Lefty, S/S rifle in 257 Roberts weighing about 7 lbs.

I'm thinking about starting with the Savage 16/116 Weather Warrior series.
Will the Short 16 fit a 257 Roberts?
How extensive are the required modifications?
Is there a preferred donor rifle/caliber for a project like this?
Or better yet, can I just buy a 16 or 116 action?

I won't be doing any of the work myself, just selecting the components to be assembled. If I'm completely off track with this, please let me know any better ways to start on this. My thanks in advance. I really want a 257 to play with and the Roberts seems to make the most sense.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Gonzo:

The go-to people for answers to your questions are the folks at Sharp Shooter Savage Specialties. Contact them at 419-695-3179 or email at sshooter@wcoil.com

I assembled an "erector set" lefty Savage this spring for a long-range shoot, and used their stock, recoil lug, oversized bolt handle and replacement trigger. They all worked fine. I didn't need the services of a gunsmith to install the trigger and aftermarket barrel, and to fit the stock. Even with only modest handyman skills, I was impressed with the results.

Ask them for their catalog, it will give you ideas as to what is available and how to go about it.

Snipershide.com has some Savage projects and tune-up tips, especially their "Ghost Dancer" project.

HTH
Rosse

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curtis,

Love that handle, P 40B. Shows a lot of class you old Flying Tiger you!!!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote