THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Opinions on Savage Model-12 in 204 Ruger??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Savage Model-12 in 204 Ruger??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am about ready to order one, but I would like to hear some opinions from owners here first!

What do you think of the M 12?

How about the 204 Ruger?

Do you think that glass-bedding is neccessary, or is it OK out of the box?

Buying it with prarie dogs in mind.

What scope did you put on it??

Thanks so much!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Track, my son has a model 12 chambered in 22/250Rem and it will shoot -.5" groups at 200 yds. with my handloads and about 1" with factory ammo, though I don't remember the brand. I don't think Savage rifles need bedding as all of them I have seen shoot very well as is. I had a 204Ruger in a T/C Encore and it was very accurate but I didn't care for the 20 cal (nor the Encore) and sold it and bought a custom 22/250 and haven't looked back. One of the reasons I like the 22/250 better is because the heavier bullets will buck the wind better, and the wind really knows how to blow here in SW Kansas.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
3 of my Savage's are still as "bedded" from the factory, and 1 has been rebedded. The one that has been rebedded doesn't shoot any better than the 3 that aren't.

Only 1 is still wearing the factory barrel. Most of the factory Savage barrels I've seen have been rougher than hell inside. They all seem to be machined with an axe. They will still shoot that way though, they are just a royal pain in the ass to get clean. Really copper up like mad.

I still think they're a good buy, even with swapping the barrel out for an aftermarket one. With the floating bolt head and barrel nut, barrel swaps are easy as piss. You can also swap bolt heads for different case sizes. I consider both of those attributes to make it worth the price of admission.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky,
This would be for my 1st PD hunt, and I am looking around for a guide, etc.

I am considering Kansas...know any guides out there?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two model 12's. One is factory and the other is re-barreled to 220Swift. Both are sub-MOA out to 350.
I know nothing about the 204 except what I read.
As a PD round my greatest concern would be wind drift at long distance. I have never been on a PD shoot when the wind didn't blow.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter in 204 and it is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. With it's favorite load it consistently puts 5 shots in about 3/8" at 100 yards and works excellently on prairie dogs. The gun is box stock. It came with the precision acu-trigger which breaks at 1/2 pound. After about 50 rounds it needs a bit of bore cleaning to maintain accuracy.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote