THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Regulating Express Sights [6.5X55 SE]

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulating Express Sights [6.5X55 SE]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
This is similar to the discussion on the big bore page, but I have a custom rifle being made that has one standing and two folding leaf sights. I want to sight them in for 100/200/300 meters. If I am using factory Lapua loads with the 155 grain Mega, how high above the 100 meter point of impact would the 200 meter sight in be, and then the 300 meter?

This should be a hassle huh?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Not a problem. Look at a ballistics table for your load. Assume point of aim at distance. Look at a Brownwll's sight adjustment chart, figuring ballistic chart impact as an error from the lower sight setting. Brownells chart gives sight height per error distance.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I will give this a look over.

Has anyone filed thier own sights????? Or have you have someone do it and who???

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I had to totally replace a front sight on an Austrian stalking rifle that had a standing leaf and a flip-up 200 and 300. Since I don't shoot over 100 in the field anymore I put a fs on that was a bit taller than the rs 100 allowing for barrel contour/rib. That way the fs gave low shots, filing it would raise the bullet strike. I already knew the loag to be used always. A trajectory table and Brownells chart should allow you to establish the rs height relationships for a fs a tiny bit taller than the rs shortest leaf. This is absolutely ammo specific, so really study the charts. If neccessary, shoot off a piece of tape raising the sight or a tape mark on the side of the leaf for windage. The critical part is of course elevation per leaf, the windage should be all the same, and you can set the blank rs up that way too, with the windage notch in the exact center of the leaf. Checkout the custom gun guild folks and talk to them too. Someone may tell you how the sights are dimensioned in the "new".

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a 'Smith that handles such filings and regulating?