THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Henry Survival Rifle .22 - Any good or junk? (long winded)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry Survival Rifle .22 - Any good or junk? (long winded)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted
This is the one in which the barrel and action insert into the buttstock when taken down to make a nice compact package out of a .22 semi-auto.

I'd like to hear from people who have one as to what they think of the quality and performance of this rifle.

I have a Henry Lever Action .22 that I bought at an auction, new. I guess I didn't look it over too carefully before bidding because I was deeply disappointed to discover later that the barrel bands and front sight are made of FREAKIN' PLASTIC! We're talking BB gun style here - no, wait - my Daisy had a steel front sight now that I think about it....anyhoo...

There were several other things I don't like about it:

The O-ring that friction locks the magazine tube follower in place disintegrated after one year.

The extraction is weak.

The dovetail for mounting the scope is not aligned with the barrel, requiring quite a bit of windage to zero the scope.

On the other hand the action is smooth, the finish is nice and it shoots quite accurately.

I was surprised by these blatant cost cutting measures in a rifle touted as an American Classic...I pretty much consider it a cheap-ass beater gun now.

Anyway, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment because now I'm thinking of bidding on the Survival Rifle that will be in this years auction. There will be no opportunity to fire it beforehand and I don't know anybody who owns one so I thought I'd ask here.

Any input is appreciated.

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one years ago from a guy who was going to shoot himself with it. I paid him the price that was on the box, $79.95. I used it for awhile, then gave it to a pal who had just boght a small farm.

At that time they were made by Armalite, I think. It's been produced by several companies over it's lifespan.

It was a fun gun, so-so accurate but accurate enough, fit in a backpack, or a canoe nicely. It had off-set sights. It floats, too.

I don't know how Henry could cut any corners on the thing, there aren't any.

There was a pistol made on it, too, looked kind of like a broomhandle Mauser.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
Tin Can,

Was he planning to shoot himself with it???

Can you explain the offset sights a bit more?

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, he was depressed, made some noise to me about that he had come close the night before, so I offered to buy it from him to get it out of the way (this was in NYC, the chance of him coming up with another one is nothing- and he didn't have a stoveSmiler )

the thing was probably ten years old, in the original box, had the price tag still on it.

he's still around.

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I bought one over thirty years ago. I believe it was made by Charter Arms. I took it on hundreds of camping trips. It hides well, packs well and always shot reliably. It killed small game and a wild dog. I gave one to a friend who was a traveling salesman who was scared to sleep in some motels without protection. It carries within the law.
I still own it and soon it will be my sons.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the Taurus 62 and 72 carbines, particularly in stainless, are better "survival" rifles. The 72 stainless carbines are chamber in 22 Magnum which is a far better killer on deer and turkeys that is the average 22 LR. They take-down with a coin-slot screw and can be packed in a pretty small carrying case or backpack. I got my MIL to sew a sack from fleece material that provides some cushioning to eliminate, or reduce, scratches and dents in the stock.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot about this in my post above, the sights as I recall were off set a bit to the left to clear something, I can't remember what.