THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which twist rate for heavier 6.5-7mm bullets?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which twist rate for heavier 6.5-7mm bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted
I'm 55 and my knees are not what they were. Therefore, I'm pondering the purchase of a specialized, light mountain rifle for Eastern whitetail. I'm hoping such a gun would make some of my steeper hunting spots comfortable for me again. I'm considering several calibers including 257, .260, 6.5x55, 7mm 08, and .243. I've used my son's Model 7 in .243 for really steep places a couple of times because of it's light weight. But, while the gun easily shoots groups of under 1" with 75 gr. bullets at 100 yrds, it shoots slightly over 1" groups at 50 yrd.s with the 100 gr. bullets. I'd like to feel comfortable shooting at least as well as 1" at 150 yrd.s with 100+ gr. bullets.

I've got varmint guns so my light rifle sould be specialized for the heavier (at least 100 gr.s) bullets. I don't reload and I'm much more of a hunter than a gun guy so I need advice.

What twist rates should I choose to shoot the heavier bullets in these calibers as well as my son's Rem. Model 7 shoots the 75 gr. bullets?

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1-9 for the 6mm's (243) and the 7mm's, if you want to use the 160 gr 6.5 bullets, try a 1-7 or 1-7.5. 25's will work with a 1-9 or a 1-10. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you don't reload and assume your going to buy a factory rifle I think the 243 have a 1/10 twist which should handle the 100gr bullets also I think most 7mm have 1/9 twist. I would try some factory 243 100 gr at 100 yds and may want to try some different brands of ammo. The model 7 have a pretty light barrel doesn't take much to heat the barrel up also need to check and see if it's bedded etc may help with the groups. Well good luck.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
holzauge,

I don't think the twist is at the top of the page on the causes of so so groups with that Rem 243. A 1-10 twist is fine for factory loads and I think Rem uses a 1-9 anyway.

Try some other brand of ammo before anything else.

As to having a rifle made up there are plenty of factory light rifles available from the Rem M7, Win Compact, Ruger Ultra Light and if you can swing it the Kimber M84.

Of the cartridges you mentioned the 7mm-08 stands out if factory loads are required. Any bullet weight around 140 grs should be just right for whitetails.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected the rem 243 has a 1/9 1/8 twist.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Savage99,
If it's not the twist, why else would the group tighten up so much at the change of bullet weight?

Thanks, for the info and suggestions. I'm still gathering info. I haven't decided on a rifle yet and there are so many variables. I've considered all you've mentioned, I've got one A-bolt that's accurate, light and handy, and I'm toying with a custom or semi-custom gun too. I might also take the tack of finding a good used gun and having it modified to meet my needs. One inch groups at 150 yards is not such a demanding accuracy requirement that I shouldn't be able to meet it with any good gun with some tweeking of the trigger etc. I know I want stainless steel.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I don't reload because of the time and space it would require. I always try as many factory loads as it takes to get the best group. One of the odd things I've noticed is that some of my guns shoot several factory loads well and some are very picky eaters. I've got a 77/22 that only shoots CCI mini-max +V well. My varmit hunting buddy has an Anshutz
.22 that only shoots the very pricey ($20.00 per box online) Anshutz ammo well. My Presbyterian heritage recoils at the very notion of shooting a .22 round that costs so much. I'd hear a cash register bell after every shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
holzauge,

There are many variables that affect the accuracy of a rifle. Since the twist is adequate on the rifle you have it's really not a consideration. It seems like twist is suspect to you as a shorter 75 gr bullet shoots well and the longer 100 gr does not.

A major factor with light rifles such as what you have are the vibrations caused by firing the shot. When the particular load provides a vibration compatable with the particular rifle then it shoots better. Rifles that have defective bedding, barrels that move when heated and many other variables make one load shoot better than others.

There are also other important variables such as the shooter just happened to tighten a screw on a mount or held the rifle different to changes in conditions. Any of these and others would be a variable.

The last Kimber Montana I bought was perfect. It shoots very small groups and even more important it stays sighted in. Order one and make sure it comes with the three postition safety. Kimber seems to care what they are doing now. Such a rifle will set you back about $900. I would get it in 7mm-08.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB38&Number=687312&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=683135&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=6199&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post687312

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when I order a barrel blank,..I always order a heavy twist,..usually the fastest for the caliber. I like t know any bullet I want to shoot will be stabilized,..reguardless of weight/length.

for the 7mm,..1:9
for the 6.5mm,...1:8 or 1:7.5

My 6.5-06AI readily stabilizes 140gr a-max and 142gr smk's into tight little groups with it's 1:8 twist tube.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote