New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on .243 Win options
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys looking for input on rifle options. I am without a .243 win. I sold my Ruger to a guy that wanted it badly (paid me more than what I had in it). I am looking to fill the space and I would like your opinions on what constitutes a nice .243.

I have looked at a Ruger No.1-A, a Kimber 84 and a Sako Lightweight Finnfire. I really like the Browning 1885s but they are hard to come by these days.

What do you guy think. I am interested in antelope size game and light weight. Please post up!

Thanks Guys,

Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You said lightweight. Have you considered one of the Steyr prohunters?

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Was going to suggest the Steyr Prohunter myself. But Mike Smith beat me to it. Terrific gun. Light, accurate, very nice factory trigger. Not too expensive either.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I will check them out. Any other suggestions?

Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a jewel--a Rem 788 that shoots both cast the full-length gas check bullets VERY well. Fourth time was the charm......

Given the STERLING performance of the CZ-550 I got in January (9.3 x 62), I would make my 243 in CZ-550 flavor. One variant has detachable box magazine available, if that's a factor.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops.....freakin' phone interruptions at office. SHEESH!! I meant to say "both cast bullets and full-length gas check (jacketed) bullets."

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
If you follow the "who's up and who's down" in the daily chat then you have heard that the 243 is getting bad press for inconsistant performance.

The latest round promoted in it's place is the 260 Rem! We are still waiting for the 243 WSSM to hit the racks also.

Get what you like and make it work rifle wise. Some of the nicer rifles out there are the ones you have mentioned. The Sako's are very nice as well. There was talk that some SA rifles from Winchesters custom shop were available at a big discount as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might look at the nicer Browning A-Bolts. Have yet to see one not shoot and they are one of the more nicely finished pieces on the market. Also might look at the Legacy Howa. Basically a Weatherby Vanguard by its true name. 260 would serve you better in the long run and yes, I'm one of those anti-243 guys, tired of chasing others' well hit 243 game.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and step up to a "real gun"...25-06!!! Anything a 243 6mm can do, a 25-06 can do better!! BTDT!!! GHD (pastor at the "Church of GHD...25-06)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
groundhog devistation--whatever a 25-06 can do--a .270 does better.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you follow the "who's up and who's down" in the daily chat then you have heard that the 243 is getting bad press for inconsistant performance.

The latest round promoted in it's place is the 260 Rem!

[/QB][/QUOTE]
Savage,

As a person who shoots both of these calibers a lot, I don't think either one has any accuracy potential over the other. The 260 is just able to give you heavier bullets and the 243 lighter ones for varmints.

If you are thinking 6 mm in a single shot, or even a bolt gun, I started playing with a 6mm Remington in what use to be a 30/06 before it got rebarreled. In a long action, the 6mm is really a decent step up from the 243 in potential. for long range shooting I am using the Berger 115 grain bullet with 46 grains of RL 19 behind it, in Winchester cases. Velocity is 3250 out of a 24 inch barrel. Accuracy and flat shooting potential is excellent. I sure would love to see a bullet like that suitable for game hunting. Seated long in the case, it is a wicked looking cartridge. Just looks like a thousand yard shooter standing still!
[Cool] [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
The .243 is a great caliber,accurate, easy to load and can shoot a full range of bullets. If you want something a little more than try a 6/284 it is faster and can do what the .243 does but a little better. Good Luck Seems like these are what you are looking for in a good small game rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the other caliber suggestions. I have a 270 in a 700 mountain rifle that I like alot. I like the .243. I have dies, brass, bullets etc. I don't really need a .243 as the .270 will do most all of the larger game stuff that the .243 can do and more. I also have a .223 for varmints too. I want to mainly stick with the .243 for now.

Jay

posted Hide Post
Notice someone recommended the Steyr. Had a little experience with two of them. #1 was a .270 Win. Very accurate. Liked it a lot, so bought a .376 Steyr. After initial firing of cases I began reloading them. Both rifles would separate the case body from the heads after 3 loadings. I began examining them more critically and noticed the "bright ring" effect after the first firing. When reloading and resizing cases I always size to a slight bolt closing feel to avoid excessive resizing. Sent the .376 back to Steyr, and they replaced it. The replacement rifle did the same thing. I guess it has something to do with the pressed in barrel shank. Don't really know. Sent cases into Steyr, demonstrating the problem, but never got a response.Feeling that if someone would only fire factory loads the rifle would probably be safe, I did the only decent thing and sold them both. I didn't want to get a facefull of gases when one of the stretched cases gave out early. So, IMHO, a design problem exists. Very accurate, but problematical.

Posts: 2 | Location: MS | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a 243, my suggestion would be to find an older Sako,not the new ones. They are pricey, but they are really sweet. Restocking makes them even better. My favorite 6 is also the 6/284. With 6.5/284 ammo available to neck down, its even better.

Sorry to have to disagree about the 25 calibers, but I do strongly, mostly because of bullet selection and the intensity of the loads needed. I have quite a pile of them scattered around and really like them for deer and antelope, but they can't hold a candle to the 6's as far as flexibility. Due to the necessity of not downloading the max sized cases, you end up with pretty stiff loads and relatively heavy bullets for varmint hunting. The most serious drawback as all-around calibers is that the 25 has never been a target round, so the accuracy bullets just aren't there like the 6's, 6.5's and 7's.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEPUTY450:

I have looked at a Ruger No.1-A, a Kimber 84 and a Sako Lightweight Finnfire. I really like the Browning 1885s but they are hard to come by these days.

I'm a great fan (and owner) of Sakos, and I'm sure the Finnlite would make you a nice gun. But I'm much more intrigued with the Kimber Model 84 -- real wood stock, very light weight, and quality roots. It would be my pick if I were buying a new .243 right now. The Browning 1885 would be on the heavy side I would think, if light weight is important to you.

Of course as Art S. suggests, an older, pre-Garcia Sako Forester would be my first choice (if I didn't already have one). It will have to be a pre-Garcia to qualify as "light weight" (although it will be somewhat heavier than the Finnfire or Kimber). The later Garcia and Stoeger Sako Foresters had heavier barrels and stocks and are not light at all.

[ 10-09-2003, 22:19: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell how important aesthetics are to you, but in terms of performance per $, the Savage line is tough to beat...the 243 comes with a 1 in 9 inch twist and the new trigger system. Nothing will shoot better groups at any price and you can smoke Barnes 115 grainers well over 3000 fps with R25, right in 25-06 country. You can buy a fine scope with the $ you save over the Sako, but that's one smooth action!

[ 10-10-2003, 04:59: Message edited by: Sabot ]

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all of the imput on this topic. I am just very interested in the new Kimbers in .243. I really like the light weight and the use of nice wood. I think that I am getting a little old school in my tastes. [Wink]

I was into the stainless rifles with laminated or composite stocks but lately my tastes have gone back to traditional.

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
A really good .243 is one that's been re-barrelled into a 7-08 or even a .260.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote