THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    So ANYONE using one of these??:

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So ANYONE using one of these??:
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted

Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter– with AccuTrigger™
Action
Short
Caliber
223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 204 Ruger, 6 Norma BR
Overall Length
46.25"
Barrel Length
26", 1" in diameter extra heavy barrel
Weight
12 lbs
Magazine Capacity
1 round, single shot
Stock
Black synthetic H-S Precision Varmint Stock with molded alloy bedding system
Sights
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Rifling Rate of Twist
223 Rem (1 in 9" or 1 in 7")
204 Ruger (1 in 12")
22-250 Rem (1 in 12" or 1 in 9")
6 Norma BR (1 in 12" or 1 in 8")
Features
Single-shot, right bolt, left port, Target AccuTrigger™ adjustable from approx 6 oz to 2.5 lbs, oversized bolt handle, stainless barreled action, extra heavy free-floating, button-rifled fluted barrel 1 inch in diameter, and swivel studs.

Don't know about other folks, but I have gotten to the point, that it is time to trade up some of the varmint rigs I have...time to change from quantity to quality...

I'm thinking real hard that one of these, with a 4 x 30 Bushnell 6500 Series Scope with Mid Dot reticle, would be quite the ticket for a prairie dog field....

The only 'hard' inital decision would be what to have it chambered for...

That ends tho, when you remember how easily a barrel can be changed on a Savage...

so one can actually get two bolts where one would not have to also change bolt faces, when switching barrels....

but a one in 7 twist 223, a one in 9 twist 22.250 barrel and the 6 BR barrel with the one in 8 twist...so one could have the idea prairie dog eradicator, and sage rat scrambler...

its a tough decision between one of these or going with the target series...

available in a 6BR, with a one in 8 twist and 29 inch barrel...

or this configuration :

so many good options make it hard to make a decision....

nice thing about it tho... you know anyone of them are going to be darn good shooters...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having played with a handful of earlier Savages built up for F-Class and club shoots, you could just flip a coin...

My current "club match" Savage is in 6BRX mounted in a B&C Medalist stock. 107gr SMK`s with Varget has been a real pleasure.

I wouldn`t hesitate to suggest the standard 6mmBR in the 8in twist. As it has been said before...it just plain shoots!

I know what you`re thinking,...did he fire six shots, or only five?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. You've succeeded in peaking my interest in a Savage (never thought that could happen). So, for bench target (100/200) or the rare occasion where some varmint attacks me, which rifle/caliber would you suggest I look for? I've got .223, .243. .22 Hornet and .22K Hornet already.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the savage accustock ?
It might be on the rifle you are showing there but I did,t see it mentioned...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Actually another forum member sent me an accustock... Looking it over it is pretty cool...

it seems the same as a Bell and Carlson Medalist, for anyone interested...

what I don't like it, is it requires a small recoil lug, which I would have to order.. and it also comes with a drop box magazine... and I don't like those either.. otherwise you have a big hole in the bottom...

the rest of it looks pretty darn good...

Instead of getting one of the above tho, I was looking at HS Precision's Web Site and I can order the above stock and also order barrels in any of the above configurations plus any other caliber I would be interested in....

so I might just end up building my own...

going to be putting up some of my other rifles for sale tho...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire2,
Here's what I did recently.
Woke up one morning a couple of months ago and said to my self, how many centerfire rifles do I own and how many do I actually shoot. I stopped counting at 56 that I could remember at my house alone. Doesn't count rimfires, pistols, shotguns or muzzleloaders. I set out on a short term quest to make sure several had a good home, somewheres else. Two months later I have sold around 25 of those on Gunbroker or at AR or at the "fire" However in the spirit of candor, I've bought three Coopers, three Kimbers and a couple more Sako's while doing this. It has been very theraputic.
So my advice to you is have a garage sale, sell your old surfboards, roller skates, and all the rifles that you really can live without. Then get a half a dozen more Savage rifles in your favorite flavor, along with stocks and barrels to assuage your "pain" and live vicariously. If you're like me, your getting older by the day, and new rifles(even it their used) make that a little easier to take.
dancing
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ought to be just the ticket if $1,200 doesn't scare you. If I lived anywhere near good varminting I'd consider it. My $300 stevens in 223 is practically a one-holer and good enough for all the more chances I get.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Model 12 LRPV in 204 Ruger. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. The load it likes (Berger 35 HP, 27.0 H335, CCI-450) consistently puts 5 shots in 3/8" at 100 yards. Does a fine job killing prairie dogs, too. The trigger was 1/2 pound out of the box. If you're looking for a fine varmint rifle, it will be hard to do any better.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I priced one of those today at a local dealer...

$1100.00 delivered...

I can sell two Rugers and live with that...

until he told me it was special order with a 6 month plus wait...

So scrap that and go to plan B....

Going to look at ordering the stock via HS Precision....and another barrel or two...

so I can easily do that for well under $1100.00...

Going to look at rethreading and rechambering a 6mm Rem Bull Barrel, with a fast twist from a Mauser to the Savage...

I still want to do a Savage Predator tho, topped with that new Buckmaster Nikon 4.5 x 14 Realtree Camo'ed scope.....

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seafire: I hear a 6 BR cooing softly in my ear. You hear it too?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding the new Savage Accustocks were only be put into new rifes and not being sold by themselves???

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
It was my understanding the new Savage Accustocks were only be put into new rifes and not being sold by themselves???

for the time being at least according to my call to Savage Customer service...

and yes Bill, I can see a 6 BR barrel in my short action Savage's near future...these things are so much fun... now if components will get plentiful and cheap once again....I'll really be having some fun and high volume of trigger time...