New
Find
Notify
Tools

marlin 22 mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I have a marlin 22 mag, unfortunately it got a little battered up when I brought it moose hunting. Darned thing shoots around corners now, it certainly won't shoot straight. I was wondering if marlin has a repair depot in Canada I could send it to for a new barrel. Can it be converted to a .17 cal. and what would be better of the two calibers for beavers and coyotes.

thanks

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chef,

I sent one of my marlin problem childs back to Marlin in 22 Mag and told them that I had replaced it with another Marlin 22 Mag, but asked if they would replace the barrel with a 17 HMR instead.

NOt only did they do so, but they did it at no cost.!

While the 17 HMR is the most accurate of the two rounds, I'd tend to go with the 22 mag for the coyotes and beavers, using the heavier grained bullets, like the 50 grain ones.

Just my experiences with the two. However handloading 223s, I don't shoot the 22mag or the 17 much anymore. I haven't gotten rid of them strickly because my son is growing up and will be 11 soon, so they will be given to him.

cheers
seafire
eh?
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote