Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Lead Free?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
22-250 Lead Free?

The good news is that I have an older 40XB that reliably shoots several different loads in <1/2” groups. It has a 1-13” twist.

Here is the bad news, All those loads use lead bullets and California banned Lead ammunition for hunting so I need to work up some Lead Free Loads for this rifle. I have tried several different bullets and powders with nothing grouping better than 1.5” @ 100 yards. Here is what I tried

40 grain Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tip = Did not stabilize
35 grain Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tip, Varget, IMR 4895 & IMR 4320 = 1.5 – 2” Groups
35 Grain Barnes Varmint Grenade, Varget, IMR 4895, H335 = 1.5 = 3” Groups

Has anyone has any success getting Lead Free Bullets to shoot well out of a 1-13” 22-250, and if so what bullet powder combination worked for you?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i think i would leave ca, space

just kiddind, i don't know

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it won't shoot with any of the longer lead free bullets, you'll might want to consider a rebarrel with a 1-9" twist. That should work with all of those bullets.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have not tried the Noslers in my .22-250 yet but found my old mdl.77 Ruger shoot's 45gr TSX well with Varget.

I bought some NBT lead free but have been using them in a .223. If you haven't yet, give Nosler a call. They usually are pretty helpful & willing to share knowledge as it makes it easier to sell their bullets.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Living in California, I too had to find a lead free load for my 22-250. My rifle has a custom Hart barrel with a 1 in 14 inch twist.

My findings were much like yours with the Nosler lead free Ballistic Tips. The 40 grain version was not stabilized at all and the 35 grain bullets shot poorly.

I did get outstanding groups with the Barnes Varmint Grenade when using Varget. However, I found this bullet to be erratic when used on ground squirrels and rabbits, etc. Good expansion generally, but an occasion shot where they did not seem to cause much damage.

So far, in my experience, the best choice has been the 35 grain NTX that is made by Hornady. When using Varget and a Fed 210M primer I am getting great groups and 4300 fps from my rifle.What that load does to varmints is simply amazing. I gives violent expansion every shot.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Try Cutting Edge Bullets; they have lead-free copper CNC machined bullets they may work for you.
Here's a link to their website:
http://www.cuttingedgebullets.com/

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much did you experiment with seating depth? Your 13 twist should not have issues with stability and those bullet weights. But, barrels can be fickle. Try max loads, sometimes that will help.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I don't really want to rebarrel this rifle. So I would prefer to find something that it would like to shoot.

The Hornady NSX looks really good and seems to have great reviews from people, one little problem Hornady had suspended production of them and I cant find anyone that has them in stock.

I have not played much with seating depth on the Barnes, I have a box of them so I will play with it a little more until I can find some of the Hornady's to try.

Between the enviro Nazi's that banned lead and the preppers that are buying all the 22 bullets I am doomed! Roll Eyes

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
So far I've had no luck with the Nosler lead free bullets in 22 and 27 caliber.

I've shot some exceptional groups with the 36 and 50 grain Barnes varmint grenades but my 22.250 has a 10 twist barrel. In the 12"-14" twist barrels I wouldn't recommend the 50 grain bullets. In my gun, the 36 grain VGs will shoot under 3/4s of an inch at stupidly high velocities.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the Barnes x or TSX? never did have much luck with the varmint grenades.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
with a one in 14 twist.... yeah..

I am going old school and using RL 7...

have tried it with great success in several 22.250s with one in 14, one in 12, and one in 7...

bullets used are 35 grain NTX Hornady, and 35 and 40 grain ballistic tips...

started my charge at 30 grains, ( my usual load with 52 grain HPs an 50 grain TNTs) and worked my way up to the 40 grain charge of 33.5 grains, out of Lyman # 47...

and 34 plus grains for the 35 grainers...

the NTX will vaporize at over 4000 fps MV, the Noslers held up fine in a 1 in 14 twist with an MV of 4650 fps..for the 35 grainer... and 40 grainer at 4450 fps...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
"Lead free" is just another small hit on firearms ownership, and yet another reason to move out of that Communist state.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have a Win M 70 fwt that will shoot 45 gr Barnes TSX less than an inch.

Posts: 37889 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote