THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Golden Eagle .270 Win Rifle question

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golden Eagle .270 Win Rifle question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know the history of the Golden Eagle rifles? My uncle just gave me a 20 year old NIB .270 with the most exquisite wood I have ever seen, with blued action and barrel, "gold" plated trigger with mauser type action. The wood to metal work is exceptional and the action slicker than snot.
I have never seen this model before and would expect it to sell in the $3,000+ range if it were a Winchester or some other custom rifle.
Does anyone have any knowledge or history on this rifle?
Thanks,
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golden Eagle's were made (atleast all the ones I've seen)
by Nikko in Japan.

"Mauser type" action? the one's I've seen have been a REAR
locking action with three locking lugs...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I owned a Nikko in 270 when they first came out, about '76-78. Like yours, mine had a beautiful stock (feather-crotch Claro). It's pure Californian in styling. Definitely no Mauser in design. Used rifles in 95% condition sell for about $700. I don't know about NIB guns, but I don't think there's much of a collectors' market for the rifles.

My rifle was very accurate and it killed a lot of deer for me. Alas, my tastes changed and the rifle went to my brother-in-law. My nephew hunts with it now.

Golden Eagle imported the bolt rifle and a line of shotguns built by Nikko. They were around for only a few years before going under. I don't know who was behind the venture, but I recall it was a group from Houston.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic?

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I bought a 375 back in '80, think it was. Beautiful wood, 26" bbl, plated trigger, kick like a sonofabitch. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The only ones I have ever seen had beautiful stocks. The action is push feed with locking lugs in the back. Normal going price is $700-800.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should confess to an unfair advantage in my recollection, I handled a used Nikko Golden Eagle Friday afternoon at the same gunshop where my brother snagged that Rem700Classic in 375H&H...

Nice wood, but the gold plating can get a bit shabby looking
when the rifle has been used...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here's the one I sold recently, in 270. It's a rather heavy rifle and the action is quite long. The bolt is a 60 degree lift rear lug lockup kinda like the Schultz Larsen.

From DeHaas

"It was imported by a Houston, Tx firm that failed in 1980."

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents: First, pardon me for refering it as a "mauser" type action. It is not. Secondly, richj, thank you for posting a picture of your rifle. That is just like the one I was given. In fact, the stock has the same color wood. I do not know how this rifel could sell for only $700! the wood stock alone is worth far more than that. The subtleties, for instance, of the bolt recess in the stock is finished well, not neglected! The figure in the wood is exceptional, the action is very smooth out of the box. Yes, I found the rifle a little on the heavy side, but very beautiful and worthy of any gun cabinet.

My uncle is a retired V.P. of Toyota and said his buddy imported them. I would like to get more info on who his buddy was (no doubt a business man involved with either Toyota or the car business).

Thank you for your responses. Very interesting info.

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There is just no after market for them. The rear lugs will turn many people off.

Here are three examples.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44247962
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44308658
http://www2.gunsamerica.com/guns/976667049.htm

One might be a duplicate on two sites.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I agree with ramrod.. those prices are kinda hi.

Rich

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote