New
Find
Notify
Tools

spoon-tip bullets?
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
I saw something today which I've never even heard of....

In this out-of-the-way gun shop under the counter-top glass were 4 boxes of ammo. They appeared to be .17 cal but were marked as 4.8mm. I think they were of some foreign make, but, if I remember right they were made for HK as a specialty bullet.

Anyhow, they had this "spoon tip" to them. it wasn't a hollow point, but closer to a FMJ that had a lop-sided, scooped out, off-center tip.

Anyone have any clue as to what this was. If need be, I'll go back for a closer inspeciton.

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

<J�rgen>
posted
Hi waldog , I guess I`ll have to give you my 2 cents worth of opinion !From what you have described I can only guess , since I`ve not seen it !HK means Heckler& Koch , yes the well known gun manufacturer , they designed this cartridge for an assault rifle.There are 2 different cases (length ), how long is the one you found ?The tip really is a spoon tip as you described it , it is a full metal jacket "approved" for human targets by its design , but if it hits soft tissue it will start to tumble..........!I do have samples at home and my friend is an engineer at HK , I guess this somehow qualifies me as an expert , ha , ha , just kidding !The caliber is basically a metric .17 !There`s another one in a slightly different dia. too , 4,6 and 4,3 milimeters .If you want more info or a picture (I can try to photograph it and mail it to you ) let me know , J�rgen

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you are speaking of the round was one of the rounds designed for the Hk-PDW (Personal Defense Weapon). It now uses the 4.6x30, but there was atleast 2 other prototype cartridges. More info Here

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
No not exactly , the rounds date back to about mid-80s and were originally designed for/by CETME in Spain ! The only thing in common with the PDW round is the bullet dia. !There`s another round stampeg DAG 4,7MM and one that`s similar to the .17 Remington the 4,3x45 also DAG !If you look in Cartridges of the world on page 429 you`ll see another one , the 4x27 CETME , now this is really close to the PDW round ! There�s 4,56x36 CETME too which is , I guess the 4,6x36 HK , at least that`s what my head stamp says !