Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage and Reloder 17
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I would like to try Reloder 17 with 117 gn SST's in my bolt actioned 250. I have a Quickload recommendation but would like to cross reference it if possible.

Does anyone have a load they have used or know of a reference.

Cheers
Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
sorry. only have 87gr loads so far.
I used QL also.

40.5gr RL17 and 87gr SP. QL says 44k psi 3035fps.

Very accurate in the Savage 14.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloaders nest has some data for RL-17 and various bullet weights. There is some data online but you have to dig it out.

RL-17 and 4350 are almost equal so use the 4350 data and start low/work up slow.

QL data is good data...just start a few grains below what it says and work up...I ran QL for the SST and nothing that came out looked strange.

I have a 250 Sav AI I built 40 odd years ago, but don't go over 100 gr bullet weight...no real advantage with the heavier bullets even with the additional case volume and higher velo.

The SST is a good bullet and you can get well over 2800 fs with the standard 250 and RL-17 which isn't anything to turn your nose up at.

You might need to throat out a bit, then seat out to get the full advantage of the longer BT bullet. and unless you are shooting over 300 yds there really isn't any advantage in the SST over the flat based SP.

I'm going to try the Hornady 110 Interbond...sounds like a nice compromise between the 100 and 120's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 250 just keeps surprising me in a bolt gun, my wee Kurz Mauser is wonderful to carry and very effective on all the game we have here in NZ - I would take a more powerful rifle if I was looking soley for a Wapiti (Elk).

Mine has a 22" Keiger barrel and I have been using IMR 4320 with 117's getting an average 2815 fps at 34 grains - this load I got from the Lyman book, its max was listed as 35 grains, but I got a very occasional heavy bolt lift in my rifle with 35 - I think from hot days. Accuracy was ok but not outstanding, with quite a high ES hence the desire to try another powder.

So I'll work up to the Quickload recommendation which was MAX 37.2 grains RE-17 at 60,000 psi and COL of 2.585 (both of which are above the SAAMI specification for this cartridge) giving 2807 fps - I'll monitor velocity carefully as I work up.

Thanks

Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloading manuals, QL, SAAMI and other interior ballistics programs/information are just recommendations, developed by a completely different rifle or even just a pressure tester...YOUR rifle and everyone else's are islands unto themselves...you have to listen to what your rifle is telling you and whizz on what Joe Darling or Jack Sprats rifles do.

There are a whole lot of ways to increase the efficiency of a rifle/caliber that only come from experience, lots of reloading, shooting and testing...and asking yourself questions most shooters never think of or would bother with even if they did, accidentally.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
The 250 just keeps surprising me in a bolt gun, my wee Kurz Mauser is wonderful to carry and very effective on all the game we have here in NZ - I would take a more powerful rifle if I was looking soley for a Wapiti (Elk).

Mine has a 22" Keiger barrel and I have been using IMR 4320 with 117's getting an average 2815 fps at 34 grains - this load I got from the Lyman book, its max was listed as 35 grains, but I got a very occasional heavy bolt lift in my rifle with 35 - I think from hot days. Accuracy was ok but not outstanding, with quite a high ES hence the desire to try another powder.

So I'll work up to the Quickload recommendation which was MAX 37.2 grains RE-17 at 60,000 psi and COL of 2.585 (both of which are above the SAAMI specification for this cartridge) giving 2807 fps - I'll monitor velocity carefully as I work up.

Thanks

Foster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rig, Rich

Foster...you got me thinking(again)...using your 60KPSI limit and lengthening the COAL TO 2.817, basically a 0.250" seating depth - one caliber, QL came up with ~3014fs for the SST at 59,893 psi, 100% load...That DEFINITELY in the 257 Roberts Imp/25WSSM/25-06 BIGBOY range...in a 24" bbl. Go out to 26" and add 50 fs.

I don't know if that is realistically attainable, but it is something to think about and work up.

FWIW, most of the larger volume cased 25 cals seated one cal deep hit 3200 fs within 60KPSI or their respective pressure limits easy.

My 250 AI hit 3073 fs at 60103psi according to QL.

Makes one rethink the 250 Savage doesn't it in relation to modern powders, bullets and realistic pressures, doesn't it. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Rich, yours is nice than mine, but I do carry mine a lot, I sometimes refer to myself as an "Armed Tramper" - a "Tramper" being what you guys would call a backpacker, and it gets me as much game as I want . . .

And another one:

Finally:

Yes - it does pay to examine all the assumptions and specs a cartridge is built to, sometimes a re-evaluation can pay big dividends. However a degree of caution and scepticism is required to stay safe !!

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Tentman

Verry nice rifle. the stock looks slim, makes the rifle look light.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My last 250 Sav with a 25" barrel would run 3050fps with a 100gr bullet with some cases loaded 7-8 times and the primer pockets were still tight. My 250AI with a 24" barrel gains 100fps(3150) and the 257DGR with a 24" barrel adds another 100 fps at 3250. The 257DGR with a 26" is 60fps(same load) faster than the 24". All are 10 twist Douglas barrels.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
richj,
What can you tell us about your rifle? That's certainly pretty!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up behind the stock of a 25-35 and a 250 Savage mod. 99...I still have the 99 and it still shoots under an inch for 3 shots at 100 off a bench..I have killed a number of elk with it early on in my youth and my dad killed at least 50 elk with it..you get within a couple of hundred yards and stick a 100 gr. corelokt in the rib cage and they make few tracks...

I am going to build a bolt action 250-3000 one day when I come across a neat short action or if I can get someone to cut and weld a small ring...but I keep looking at those cute little Ruger 77 Manlichers in 250-3000, and one outfit has them in SS with wood stocks and they are an awesome looking piece of work...

I love that caliber and trust me it kills all out of porportion to its paper balistics. I have proven this to myself many, many, times.

I believe it is counter productive to soup the std. 100 gr. bullet up as its a balance of bullet performance at a given velocity that has worked for years, its proven. I tried the 257 Roberts and the 250 IMP. and didn't care for either as well as the std. 250 savage..the real beauty of the 250-3000 is its ability to kill well with hardly any recoil, why in the world do you want to fix something that ain't broke? beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Gaudy stock, metal by blackburn. It's a shortened Mauser (1909 maybe). Not sure whose barrel.

http://home.pipeline.com/~shootzf/250-fl-3.jpg

http://home.pipeline.com/~shootzf/250-fr-3.jpg

http://home.pipeline.com/~shootzf/250-l-4.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Con:
richj,
What can you tell us about your rifle? That's certainly pretty!
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I grew up behind the stock of a 25-35 and a 250 Savage mod. 99...I still have the 99 and it still shoots under an inch for 3 shots at 100 off a bench..I have killed a number of elk with it early on in my youth and my dad killed at least 50 elk with it..you get within a couple of hundred yards and stick a 100 gr. corelokt in the rib cage and they make few tracks...

I am going to build a bolt action 250-3000 one day when I come across a neat short action or if I can get someone to cut and weld a small ring...but I keep looking at those cute little Ruger 77 Manlichers in 250-3000, and one outfit has them in SS with wood stocks and they are an awesome looking piece of work...

I love that caliber and trust me it kills all out of porportion to its paper balistics. I have proven this to myself many, many, times.

I believe it is counter productive to soup the std. 100 gr. bullet up as its a balance of bullet performance at a given velocity that has worked for years, its proven. I tried the 257 Roberts and the 250 IMP. and didn't care for either as well as the std. 250 savage..the real beauty of the 250-3000 is its ability to kill well with hardly any recoil, why in the world do you want to fix something that ain't broke? beer

Ray,

I bought mine from a dealer in Florida.

Go for it
http://www.lipseysguns.com/pos...less-250-Savage.aspx

Go Navy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Thats just one nice little carbine..I many give them a call and see if they still have any and what the cost might be.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That ad is 3 1/2 years old for a 2009 LE rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found mine in Florida using Yahoo. I did a search for Ruger 77 250 savage for sale.

I put the link there as it explains the gun is a Lipsey limited edition. Yes is is an old link.

I think there are 3 on gunsamerica

Go Navy