THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Got my 204 Ruger sighted in today

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my 204 Ruger sighted in today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sighted in with 32 grain V-Max bullets.
23.0 grains of IMR 4198 and CCI 450 primers!
100 yards
3 3-shot groups average .5 inches each!
last 3-shot group measured .25

26 inch TC Encore with 6-24x42mm scope.

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck: I have decided to use the Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKing bullets in my 204's.
I have as yet to find an IN-accurate bullet for my reloads and for that matter I have had very good accuracy with factory ammo in all my 204's!
I have not tried the IMR 4198 powder as yet in any of my rigs. I have used H 4895 and AA 2230. When I started doing handloads for my 204's the published load info was very hard to come by. I found loads that gave excellent accuracy and have stuck with them.
The accuracy, lethality and availability of the Sierras was the deciding factor on my present and future bullet choices.
When present stocks of handloaded ammo run out I will use the Sierra 32's in all three of my Rifles.
Congrats on the nifty .25" group! That is a nice accomplishment with a non-BR Rifle and Varmint type bullets!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG;
I don't know if you read my post (over a year ago now) where I tried a box of factory (Hornady) 40 grain V-Max loads, but my Encore didn't like them! Every one of those 40's keyholed, and grouped around 6 inches!
I've been wanting to try the Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKing bullets myself, but the dealers around here apparently don't stock them or won't order them!

I may send for some out of Midway or MidSouth!
That will have to wait a while though, I still have 188 of 200 left out of my last 32 grain V-Max reload project!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck White: It seems EVERYWHERE I go I see the Sierra 20 caliber bullets.
I pay attention to these types of things ever since I began a "love - hate" affair with Berger bullets many years ago.
I loved the way they provided excellent accuracy in several of my Rifles, and I hated having to search all over to find them once I needed more of them.
I just simply have to many Rifles to be on the short end of the stick looking for bullets and wasting my time doing so.
Berger is much better these days in having bullets available with no long delays between production runs of certain calibers (like the 17 and 22 situation of years past!).
Once "burned" though.
I just made a swing from the Rocky Mountains to the Olympic Mountains recently. I spent two weeks going from Gunshop to Gunshop and Sporting Goods store to Sporting Goods store. Everywhere I went the Sierra 32's were on shelves. It seems the Bob Ward, Sportsmans Warehouse and a couple other chain sport stores were always well supplied with the Sierra 20 cals.!
I can't imagine what is going on out NE way?
Chuck, I will send you 40 of the Sierra 32's (gratis) if you just send me an address you can pick them up at.
These will get you started.
I am sure you will like them.
And yes that keyholing situation you have with the 40's was and is perplexing to the max.
Obviously a symptom of out of sync twist rate or bullet speed!
Your situation is the only one I have heard of like that!
I suggest you bite the small bullet and go purchase a box of Hornady factory ammo in 32 gr. configuration - these were VERY accurate in all three of my 204's. I have about 40 of these factory cartridges left but the Feds might get on my ass if I ship them to you.
I would gladly send you ten but again it would be risky (maybe?) and you can hopefully find these for around $12.00 a box out near you.
Let me know via E-mail or PM if you want some 32 gr. Sierras sent to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can ship the ammo via UPS. Just mark the package ORM-D.

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I have tried both the Sierra 32's, and he Hornady V-max. I found the Hornady's to be more consistent in length and weight. Both shoot good though.

I tried Benchmark and H335 for powders. I am getting 3950 with a 24" barrel. I think the 4200fps they advertised is not possible with handloads. I cannot even crack 4k with my loads so far. I read that TAC from Ramshot is around 4100 but cannot verify.

My 204 seems to be most accurate at faster speeds. Shot like crap at around 3700, was shooting sub 1/2" at 3900.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Salvage33: Our fellow poster has some of the "ammo" already as I found out via PM.
I am going to print out your info for the next time I want to send ammo.
How about just the projectiles (bullets) with no primer case or powder?
Should I mark that small package ORM-D or just send them via U.S. Mail?
Thanks for the info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can send just the bullets, brass etc by U.S. Mail just as if they were nuts and bolts --- no restrictions and no notice required.

However, the Post Office will not ship loaded ammunition, primers or powder. These will need to go via UPS Ground Service and must be marked ORM-D.

There was an article in Varmint Hunter Magazine about loading for the .204 Ruger and one of the rifles he used was a TC and it also had a stability problem ---- key-holing --- with the 40gr bullets he was using including the factory ammo.

My powder of choice is TAC.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill: Thanks for the info.
Do you remember which issue of Varmint Hunters Magazine that article was in?
I am a bit behind in my reading this spring summer and I would like to review that T/C 204/40 gr. situation!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcather223: Since getting my 204's I have simply been TO BUSY to run any of them over my Oehler!
Sad situation that!
But my Rifles are all 26" barrels and "according to" posted loads and results I am at the 4,000 FPS (muzzle velocity!) doorstep speed wise.
Plus with the splendid accuracy and flat trajectories I am witnessing - I said, good enough.
I am not actively searching for more speed out of my 204's.
If I recall correctly the V-Max bullets were a touch cheaper than the Sierra BlitzKings so I may put them on my list of "bullets to try" for this coming winter!
If your loads are not corrected for muzzle velocity (from the center of your chronograph sensors) then you may very well be right near 4,000 FPS level already.
I am not going to relay any of the 4,100 and 4,200 FPS loads that I have had folks quote me but I am pretty sure that those speeds are feasible in 26" barreled 204 Rifles.
More later - phone call!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy
Are the Sierra BlitzKings less/more fragile than the Hornady V-Max of the same weight?

I got an average of 4125 fps with my 32 grain V-Max reloads, so I guess that's about as close to advertised balistics as we can get!

Picture of bythebook
posted Hide Post
Chuck White I also have gotten 4125 fps in my 26 inch barrel 204 TC Oncore with fact 32gr Horn. and My hand load with BL-C2 and 32 gr V-Max. I get good groupe also and these speeds are from my Chrono. In my handloads I had to go a little over Published max but I am not getting any high preasure signs or excessive case expansion.

Posts: 8 | Location: bedford Pa. | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bythebook
That's good info to hear!
So many times we hear on these forums that "you can't get close to factory specs"!
The way I see it, 4125fps is real close to the factory specs of 4225fps!
My velocities were taken with a Chrony!
The max load data for IMR 4198 is 23.5 and I am at 23.0!
Thanks for your input!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck White: I would say it is a toss up "frangibility" wise with the Sierra 32 BlitzKings and the Hornady 32 gr. V-Max's! They are both a shosh more explosive than the Berger 35's though.
I am going to try the Hornady 32's in some handloads (for accuracy) this winter.
By the way be on the lookout for a tiny white package coming your way.
I also sent you a PM.
I got drug out of my "routine" by my friend who got a Bull Moose tag for here in SW Montana. We took an extended and unplanned Moose scouting/Varmint Hunting/fishing trip on Thursday, Friday and Saturday last - so your test bullets got a bit of a late start out of the Rocky Mountains toward you!
Good luck with the Sierra's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks;
I'm patiently waiting!