THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Remington M597 magazine problem

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington M597 magazine problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a Rem. M597 about 6 months ago. I love the rifle, but... It seems that the magazine spring is to weak to push the next round into the chamber. My clips work fine as long as I only load 5 shots or less(for a ten shot magazine) I figured that I just had a bad magazine so I bought two more(only $7.50 a piece) Come to find out these do the same thing as the other one. Since then I have aquired two more,and they do the same thing. That is five magazines and they all have the same problem. Have any of ya'll had the same problem? It is not really a big problem, I mean i have five clips with five rounds per clip. It is just that I feel that if I pay for a ten shot clip it needs to work properly for ten shots. By the way the gun itself is way to accurate to get rid of. Any ideas or just plain old opinions gladly accepted. [Frown]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
A couple years ago, when they first came out, I succumbed to the advertising hype and bought a Remington M597 LSS. I was immediately impressed with its handling and accuracy. However, I soon began experiencing the same problems as you. The magazines I bought with the gun were flimsy little plastic things that didn't make it through a brick of ammo. Apparently other people had this same problem--Remington soon released a slightly more sturdy magazine made out of magnese steel. I bought one of these to see if they worked--nope. Same problems. I tried cleaning that rifle, I tried everything I knew how. Even made sure I wasn't missing peices. Still couldn't get it to fire a whole mag without jamming. This summer I ended up trading it for a nice 1954 Russian SKS.

Shame, that LSS was such a sweet looking gun. Only time I've ever been disappointed with Remington...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks FarRight, I have tried all the same things that you have. I talked to my wife and we agreed that I need a new rifle. Hmm what to choose... [Big Grin]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<fishnfst>
posted
I've found with my 597lshb that I have to clean the mags about every 100 to 150 rnds. The bullet lube builds up in the little channel on the front of the mag that the follower rides in. I also polished the two rods out to a mirror finish and lapped the bolt into the rods. I polished the bottom of the barrel where it contacts the hammer also. The remington book says to torque the set screws for the rod to 8 inch pounds. I've found that if I tighten the set screws to just engage the rods the gun feeds much more reliably. Try it you'll be amazed with the difference.

<fishnfst>
posted
Oops I meant to say bottom of the bolt and the hammer face not the bottom of the barrel

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I did to my metal & plastic magazines was to take them apart (pry the bottom of the magazine apart with a small blade screwdriver in the notch provided) and sand off all the mold flashing on the follower. One more thing to watch for is that you don't put any pressure on the magazine when you're shooting. This almost quarantees a misfeed for some reason.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This particular model has had more than its share of mag problems. I know that there are two different factory models, the second being a attempt at correcting troubles with the first. Other than that I know litte. If you are set on semi auto, the better Marlins are good, (their levers the best) and its tough to top a Ruger 10/22 for value. But possibly the best semi auto of all time was the Remington Nylon 66. Can still be found used. I KNOW folks is gonna contest but I'm giving ya the straight skivy!!!lol................

[ 10-26-2002, 23:29: Message edited by: Uncle Alvah ]

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys I just went out and bought a Ruger 10/22 deluxe sporter. I am in love with it already. Thanks for all of the advice. I have put about 200 rounds through it and have had no problems with feeding. Now all I need is a few more clips so that I can terrorize the local squirrel population. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]