New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short action rem needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
friend is talking me into having a 6mm ppc built. my first assignment is to find a short action in either rem 700 or win 70. anyone got any suggestions wherei could buy one? thanks/ chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for a "beater" at a pawn shop, a gun show, or in the classifieds. The Model 70 is a more sophisticated action, but the simpler Model 700 is easier to work with for most applications, particularly for target work.

If you can't find a cheap used gun, the Model 700 ADL synthetic is just a little over $300 at most outlets. You can sell the unused stock and barrel to recoup a little of this.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chazgreen:
friend is talking me into having a 6mm ppc built. my first assignment is to find a short action in either rem 700 or win 70. anyone got any suggestions wherei could buy one? thanks/ chaz

The (6mm) PPC poses its own set of problems.

1) If you want to be 100% sure of extraction, you'll have to get a bolt with a PPC boltface. You won't find any of those in either a standard M70 or a M700. The PPC boltface is smaller than a .308 boltface, so it would probably be easiest to open up a .223 bolt face - but that also includes having to install a new (Sako style?) extractor. More expenses to be prepared for.

2) it is next to impossible to get a PPC to feed from a magazine. Or if not impossible, then darn hard. Besides, if you want the accuracy of a PPC, you really need the rigidity of a single shot action. Again, this is going to make it hard to simply use the first M700 or M70 you come across.

Probably the cheapest way to get into a 6mm PPC, is to check out the classified adds from the precision shooting world. Bob White from Shooter's Corner probably has as many PPC rifles for sale as anybody else in the World. There are lots of cheaper rifles there as well. His list is not updated very frequently, so you have to call to make sure, that what you see is also available. Bob White has an excellent name for honesty and delivering what he promises in the BR community.

You can also check classifieds from benchrest.com and there are a few other websites, which I can't think of right now.

Alternatively, you can try to locate a second hand Sako or Ruger in 6mm PPC - gunsamerica and gunbroker have some from time to time. Either pale in comparison with Shooter's Corner, though.

A single shot, heavy barreled Sako in 6mm PPC with the target trigger is almost as accurate a factory rifle as you can hope to find. Nifty pieces, if not inexpensive these days.

Cooper offers just about the only factory 6mm PPC rifles I know of today. I'd personally rather find a good second hand Sako or find a second hand custom rifle. But to each his own.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chazgreen
What is this rifle for?
If it is a bench rest/range gun then a 6mmPPC is a good choice. If it is for a hunting rifle, just get a 243.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gents/ my friend-gunsmith-fellow hunter will build the gun; my assignment is to find an action. he suggested finding a 'beater', or else buy new & flog the parts. i have not found ANY 700 adl's for anything near $300 new. anyone have a source?? this will end up being a single shot i suspect, but that is my friend's call. my next assignment is to find a decent 6-24 or 8-32 scope that has been gently used. not much faith in ebay. any suggestions??thanks for the input as always / chaz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a CZ or Charles Daly chambered for a 7.62x39.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i have not found ANY 700 adl's for anything near $300 new.

The local Wallie World regularly sells 700 ADLS (usually chambered in 22-250,.243) on sale $279...not on sale $359
They even throw in a crappy plastic stock and a no frills finish....iron sights to boot.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi skb/ just googled wall mart on line store. the cheapest rifle they have is a model 7 youth in 243 for $438..dont know where you hit on a price of $359 but would love it for that price. thanks/ chaz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, if a PPC is what you are aiming for, make sure your smith is happy with a .308 bolt face.

It *is* possible to get a PPC to work with a .308 bolt face - some people do so to be able to shoot switch barrel rifles. But... it can be tricky. The extractor has to be extended, and on a M700 that means a Sako or similar extractor must be installed. The ejector is also problematic, and often has to be disabled.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chaz - I did the same thing...but there is a WW right down the road from my work that I just came back from .....plastic stocked Rem 700 ADL chambered in 22-250, iron sights $319.

On their website they don't really show any deals at all.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chazgreen

If your using it be BR. I would think strongly about just biting the bullet and getting a BR action. By the time you get through truing a Rem and doing all the other trick things to it a sleving it your going to have the same cost and experience tells me it's not going to shot as well. I'd look at a Stolle or a Viper

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote