Notify
Tools

22-250 for muledeer...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s the way it was when I grew up and that was the way for my kids.

That's good logic and works for many of us (I was shooting a super lightweight 410 shotgun when I was in primary school) but don't you think that today we need to do all we can to get young people into the game of responsible hunting? Especially young ladies! (I think it is wonderful that Idaho Sharpshooter is doing his part for his niece! He did say "My 14 year old niece does not care much for recoil". It took me a lot of concentration to learn to ignore the recoil that I knew was coming - just this week-end I had a good laugh at these young fellows shooting a new 50 Remington 500 S&W Magnum and getting hurt by it. I hardly felt the recoil and was unaware of the extent to which the gun 'threw' me back until I saw the video. I was still able to see the impact even though my head was jerked back almost my head length. Point is, I know how to fire a 'big caliber' gun. And I learned it by starting off with a 22lr and then had 'some' schooling by experienced shooters (not to mention a cut above the eyebrow before moving my 303 scope further forward). I think it all lies in proper mentoring. (The first time I fired my 44mag, I crapped myself! It left me shaking. Big Grin) But today I do not like recoil too much - it spoils my view of the impact somewhat. Wink

beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
thanks Mick, but in this case I take Leopard Brownell's opinion over yours. That and mine over the last 30 years hunting here in Idaho.
Brownell guided a couple thousand out of state hunters in Wyoming over a thirty-something span of years. He kept a 243 Win so that hunters who were not rifle nuts and brought magnum rifles could fill their antelope and mule deer and elk tags. If we could gather statistics, I would hazard a guess that more deer and elk are wounded and lost by over as opposed to under gunned hunters.

At any rate, the kid killed more than sixty coyotes over last winter with this rifle, could produce endless 5-shot groups (from a rest) at 200 yards that measure under 3". The deer did not move ten feet on its own, but rolled down the hill 25-30 feet after death. I had grilled backstrap this afternoon, and it was very good. Poor deer didn't know that a 22 is inadequate for the job. I guess those thousands of elephant Bell killed with a 7x57 were ignorant as well.

regards,

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

My comments were not aimed at your niece, or you, or anybody else in particular. Although I do stand by my thoughts on little people, that’s more of a side note to the general thrust of this thread. My comments were really aimed squarely at the idea that a 22 (any 22) is an adequate and reasonable big game round, particularly western big game. Your niece (and her sister) sounds like a darn good little shooter. Again, congratulations to her and I apologize to you if you took any of my comments to hart.

People on this forum and elsewhere may be good enough to consistently take big game year in and year out with a 22 but I have no such illusions about John Doe Public’s marksmanship or John’s hunting skills in general. The Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) went too great lengths to word the laws in such a way that they could weed out the use of cartridges they felt were inadequate for Colorado big game. The people that wrote these laws just didn’t wakeup one morning and decided they didn’t like the M1 Carbine or old lever-actions that used black powder pistol rounds or 22s. They came about these laws based on field observations and other considerations (like being able to catch the darn bullet with a baseball glove at 100 yards). I’m sure some clown will make a “catch this†comment.

If these laws didn’t exist I’m sure someone would be touting the merits of the 22 Hornet as the ultimate mountain rifle elk round. This is an exaggeration of course but I think you get my point.

I hear that some populations of eastern whitetails aren’t much bigger in body mass than the average big dog. I wouldn’t know, I’ve never been east of the Mississippi but if this is close to truth, I can see the use of big 22s with heavy bullets as a reasonable choice.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps in all fairness of all who have posted comments regarding the usage of a CF.22 for Mule Deer

hunting . Setting at a bench shooting or knocking off that Doe tag in an area one is all to familiar

hunting in or being with in 150 yd of intended target , is probably OK .

For others who as in my case hunt in unfamiliar places and maybe hundreds of yd. from the intended

target or a HUGE Trophy is in question ; I believe I'll bring enough gun to lesson my chances at

excuses . That does not mean a 458 Lott for a 250 lb. Mule Deer but a .25 cal. an up would be advisable.

IMO . As for others it's a personal choice with tried an true results .

Nothing makes a young lady turn off from hunting faster than a wounded struggling animal

especially if their close enough to look in their eyes . Again Just my Opinion but I've seen it

happen more than once !.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing makes a young lady turn off from hunting faster than a wounded struggling animal

especially if their close enough to look in their eyes

Mmmm.... It turns me off hunting! (But then I harden-up! I had to 'dispatch' a very young possum playing dead. Not nice! We were tempted to 'save' it - funny how we like furry little youngsters).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote