New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester .22 64gr PP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anybody has hunting experience with the Winchester .22 64 gr. Power Point. My wife wants to hunt this year and I have a couple hundred of these bullets and a .223 savage. The deer in our area are in the 100 pound range.
Thank you.

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
should work fine if the range isn't too long and the shots are carefully placed.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ditto to olarmy's comment. At .223 velocity, they expand well and penetrate more than sufficiently. That was the bullet our oldest son took his first whitetail with, and it gave 16-18 inches of penetration on a small doe (was a frontal shot).

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mojave, If you have a good Tracking Dog, keep him ready to go. Or perhaps you have a neighbor with one.

It "might" drop fairly close, and then again it might not. And since the Hole is going to be relatively small, it "might" get plugged by the Innards shifting around and result in no Blood Trail. That happens with the 243Win too.

Best of luck to your wife.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting buddy's has an 11 year old daughter that has taken 8 deer with that cartridge and bullet. All shots have been under 70yrds, and all were one shot kills.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mojave,
Check this thread out:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...f_Premium_Bullets_an

Not that there isn't a lot of good information on this site as many here hunt deer with .22 cal. rifles with excellent results.. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a bunch of deer taken by local kids during our youth season with that combo. The shots are usually under 100 yds,from a stand, none of the kids have lost a deer yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Win 64 PP is an excellent bullet for 10" (or faster) twist .223 for deer and antelpoe. I push them at 3000 fps and they perform very well. Of course proper bullet placement is essential as with any cartridge/bullet.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Mojave, If you have a good Tracking Dog, keep him ready to go. Or perhaps you have a neighbor with one.

It "might" drop fairly close, and then again it might not. And since the Hole is going to be relatively small, it "might" get plugged by the Innards shifting around and result in no Blood Trail. That happens with the 243Win too.

Hot Core has spoken! All bow to Hot Core!

Of course, since he's never actually taken or attempted to take any of the "thousands of deer" he speaks of with a 64 grain PP, then his empirical evidence is a bit thin. Not that that should cause Hot Core any pause in making his pronouncement.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:

One could make the same argument with a handful of normally acceptable deer calibers, right?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
quote:

One could make the same argument with a handful of normally acceptable deer calibers, right?
I agree.

There are other Cartridge and Bullet combinations which just do not work well for Deer Hunting. Same as some have been mislead into thinking a Bullet designed for Paper or Varmints is OK for Hunting Big Game.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people are easily mislead, like those idiots that sail for the new world and never come back. Everyone with any sense knows they're sailing right off the edge of the earth!
For your application those power points will make for a happy wife!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .224" 64PP is exceptional on Game,at 223/223AI velocities and an old standby of sorts...given my X Slutdom.

Perhaps I'll upload some footage and allow some of the more brazen/lippy Couch Potatoes to take a stab at denoting how it "pales".

Though that is the dirtiest of "tricks".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the nieces took a nice Muley Buck in 2009 with that bullet in her Browning 22-250 at about a hundred yards. BFD!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their BC is paltry,though that does lend it to lesser twist rates,which precludes superior projectiles of lesser weight(though greater length).

You'll not be able to zook one in a 223/223AI on Game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For conversation,note the 64PP's much abbreviated length and aerodynamic profile,as compared to the 62TSX,which in turn is longer/sleeker than the 69SMK.

The 64 really is a literal Sledgehammer,though it is very easy to do quite a bit better.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have been pleasantly surprised with the 64gr

Win PP bullet.

I loaded for a rancher friend and his wife

that are not in to handloading--

they have used them on coyote, deer, hogs etc,

etc, with excellent results in their 223 WSSM.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As speeds increase,the PP quickly loses favor and the X enters the equation and seals the deal.

The 62TSX at 3400fps ala 21" 223AI is a MONSTER.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote