Find
Notify
Tools

260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
I,ve come to the conclusion that a medium velocity 6.5 mm would be ideal for where I am and what I will hunt with it . Fox thru Caribou , possibly bears if ideal conditions and as a target of opportunity . Moose likewise with a 120 - 140 gr TSX .... It has to be in a Ruger bolt rifle . Velocity needn,t exceed 2900 fps with a 120 gr bullet , and 2750 fps would be fine ..Options are for a Ruger Stainless Compact in 260 rem . a stainless Target 6.5 Creedmor w/28" barrel .Would need a shortening . or a blued steel M77mkII in 6.5 Creedmor w/ wood stock . it comes w/ a 26" barrel . Would need a shortening also ... And eventually a synthetic stock .........
Does the 6.5 C need all that barrel length to reach the specified velocities ....???????????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Oh and does anyone have one of these they would like to trade for a 375 Ruger Alaskan ???

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about the Creedmore, but I had a couple Sakos chambered for the 260 and I really like the cartridge. I only sold them because I have nice Sako in 6.5x55 that does the same thing.

It would be easy to get 2750 with any 140, and 3000 with 120s.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
you are not going to see velocities like that in a compact model of 260...

owing a 260 with a 22 inch barrel in a Ruger 77 Mk 2 Stainless, I can verify you'll see 2900 with 120s and 2750 with 140s.. the later at least with a charge of 44 grains of IMR 4350... at least in my rifles...

The Creedmore supposedly also uses a small rifle primer... you really want to rely on that in the cold of Alaska?

plus the availability of brass for it...

the 260 you can neck down 7/08, and 308 brass.. or neck up 243 brass...

I wouldn't rely on a Creedmoor up where you live...

and if you are wanting a compact, I'd rethink your velocity desires... or what barrel length you could live with.. you'll need a 22 inch one to accomplish what you posted...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a .260 Rem. in a Ruger M-77 MK-2. S.S. I really like the 120 sierra s.p. With 42 grs of RL-15.. I am shoting over my chroney at 2920.fps i use it for white tail.
seafire2: how does your ruger group with the 140s? i cannot get the 140s to group good. the 129 do ok

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the parent case for the Creedmoor?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple. Go with the 260.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..It would be so simple if (IF) Ruger still made the 22" barreled 260 . They don,t however ... So the 6.5 Creedmor is appealing in that the barrel can be shortened to 20" or a little less so it goes in and out of vehicles ,4 whlrs and snow goes . .. My Wifes Ruger 308 Compact is so handy it,s unbelievable .. However it is a bit light for some trickier shots , and I was thinking a little more barrel weight would be nice ....... . With the 308 I am getting 2700 fps plus with book loads and the 150 gr bullets ., So I was thinking I should be able to get 2700 fps plus with the 120 gr TSX BT ..... It will prolly spend most all it's life shooting the 110 gr.Banded solid , as this will be used alot for fur .Mostly for fur as it will always be with me .. No barrel length longer than 20" MAX.. The 308 is a little much on a red fox .... I suppose I could affix a Harris bi pod on the Compact and that would bring the front end weight up and help the rifle hang better on the target ..... With the amount of clothes I wear this time of year the short lop is actually an advantage ..... bewildered Confused Roll Eyes I'm not interested in a paying for a rebarrel job .................

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
I also have a .260 Rem. in a Ruger M-77 MK-2. S.S. I really like the 120 sierra s.p. With 42 grs of RL-15.. I am shoting over my chroney at 2920.fps i use it for white tail.
seafire2: how does your ruger group with the 140s? i cannot get the 140s to group good. the 129 do ok

mine have one in 8 twists.. I own two of them..
they both do great with any 140 grainers I have tried in them...

I had both of mine throated out also, to be able to take a 160 grain Hornady RN...

they shoot that bullet as well as the discontinued Sierra 160 grain Rn just fine..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf,

The 6.5 Creedmoor is based on the .308 Winchester case.

I'm having one built right now and will be a purpose built target rifle.

If I wanted a 6.5 for hunting purposes, I would go with a .264 Win Mag or 6.5-284..............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purchase a Rem Seven Stainless Syn chambered in 260 Rem.
Take it out of the box,clean it & shoot it!!

260Rem ammo is available off the shelf.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owen a Remingtom model 7 and it has a 20" barrle and can put the SMACK down on game...

I use 125gr Nosler partions and 129gr hornady flat base soft points and every white tail i hav shot with it has not made past 40 yards... wether it was 50 yard shot or a 300 yard shot. VERY accurat little gun and nice to handle ..I would never get rid of it or give it up as my main hunting gun... i know with the propler bullet such as a 140gr Nospartion or a hornady 160gr RN you could take a moose with it.....

I thought of having a longer barrle put on it with a 1-8" twist ...but after the last 2 years of hunting with it I am keping the factory barrle it will handle any bullet I put in it 95gr to 160gr

I LOVE my modle 7 .260 rem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. After looking carefully at the 6.5mm options I narrowed it down to 6.5-06, 6.5-284, and .264 Winchester Magnum. I went with the .264 Win Mag.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
Purchase a Rem Seven Stainless Syn chambered in 260 Rem.
Take it out of the box,clean it & shoot it!!

260Rem ammo is available off the shelf.

. I,ve probably owned my last Remington .....I would never get another small caliber Remington .

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Ruger ', or CZ .., the CZ 6.5x55 is appealing also . But the Ruger Compact in 260 is more so .......
So , are there any 6.5 Creedmor shooters out there ?? Why does Ruger put such long barrels on their 6.5 C. rifles ...What is the problem with the Small Rifle primer , ?????? Thanks for the replies all !!!!!!!!! salute

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I'd go 6.5-06 cheap brass, just neck up 25-06 brass.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
the 6.5 Creedmor uses a standard Large rifle primer I think.

140-gr Factory Load: 140gr A-Max @ 2770 fps, 41.7gr H4350, 210M, Hornady Brass.
120-gr Factory Load: 120gr A-Max @ 2980 fps, 43.5gr H4350, 210M, Hornady Brass.

The potential problem with the small rifle primer in that COLD air and a LR case is consistant ignition.
I love my boys 260 by the way and Ruger sure ruined my day when they stopped producing the standard barrel model. I would have had one for me as well.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Creedmoor does use the large rifle primer

one of us
posted Hide Post
id go with the .260 rem.. cheap brass, just neck up .243 brass. or neck down 7MM-08..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..It comes down to the rifle .. As I,m not after a velocity much over 2800 fps and 2700 is great ... I will be using it as an allaround fur and some big game hunting , just having with me rifle . Will use it alot for calling predators ,but don,t want to blow the hides up .....http://demigodllc.com/link.php?src=/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/&ad=lapua2........... Here,s an article about the 3 I,ll do some research and get back with ya'll.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you plan on using it for fur, you best have a lotsa needles and thread. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a fair dinkum comparison between the 260 Rem and the Creedmoor, say with 22" barrels in hunting weight rifles. Everything I have read has the Creedmoor out of a long (+26") barrel. The Rem appears to me to be more practical. Would love one in a Kimber Montana.

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
If you plan on using it for fur, you best have a lotsa needles and thread. Smiler
. I don,t necessarily think so .. Not with the banded Solid . It is a spitzer BT , the 308 was a bit much . but the 22-250 really tears things up from what I hear .... @ 2800 fps I would be suprised {which could happen } if it was ruffer than the 243 Win , which is good as long as the speed is kept @ 2800 fps ...
. The Kimber Montana would be great also . , But then I would be up to where it would be the same money wise with rebarreling a Ruger .... Which is why the Creedmore is attractive , It is cheap to shorten the barrel to 20 " . I bet it would still give me the velocity I was after ..

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
A Ruger compact 260, or 22" 260 or 6.5x55 (both disc.) or a Sako Finnlight in either 260 or 6.5x55 will satisfy. Budget determines.

A good Kimber might be your other option.

I too am no longer a Rem fan and I bought/shot 2 early M7s in 260 as well as a plethora of other bolts.

The Creed has a LR primer but brass/ammo makes me want a 260 or 6.5x55, if reloading I'd just go 6.5x47 but some worry about the SR primer, who knows. Weather/temp dependent?

Ruger makes a 250 Savage in the 77 RSI a SS/Walnut, a ltd. run gun, VERY handy piece, but would stick to deer and smaller with it.

Good luck.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another one of REMINGTONS classic blunders!!............Abandoning am easy to load for, EFFICIENT, hard hitting chambering in favor of promoting some golly-whopper, recoil delivering, unnessecary chambering!!
The 260 Remington is easy to loadfor with 95 to 140 grain projectiles. It delivers SPECTACULAR accurrcy with NEGLIBLE recoil. It is not OVERBORE and therefore does not erode throats requiring rebarreling after one good varmint season or a season at the matches. Brass is ENDLESS since it can be made form 243, 7-08 or 308 cases. No real fireforming need, just neck it either up or down and load it, have I mentioned the accuracy componet yet? How about LONG RANGE accuracy and efficiency? If you show up at the range with a 6.5-284 you may be able to turn some heads because you have a "wildcat". The guy with the 260 gives up 100-150fps but his accuracy still astounds.........a long ways out there!! Come on Remington!!(and other manufacturers as well) Get your heads out of your asses and produce commercial rifles in this chambering!! Do I like the 260, 6.5/308. 6.5/243???? Damn right!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what you are wanting to do either the 6.5 C or the 260 will work. I have never shot the 6.5 C but I have shot the 260 extensively, as well as the 6.5 X 47 Lapua which is for the most part a 6.5 C with a small rifle primer. All three are ballistic triplets. If I were you, I would go 260 for no other reason than the brass availability.

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. Ideally , for my purposes as all around non dgr , the 260 should be a factory standard in the Ruger77 mk II Tacticl model with the 20" barrel .... It wouldn,t need any fixin to make it just right ...The standard rifle was ideal ,I was only a big bore guy when it was available tho ...... The 6.5 C only needs a barrel shortening to be totally useable ......

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IMO, you will need all of the barrel quoted to get the vel. they show for the 6.5C. The 260 is almost a twin, I can't even figure out why Hornady brought out the 6.5C. I shoot a 260AI & a std. 260 in a 20" bbl. would easily get 2800fps w/ a 120-125gr bullet. I think you would jave to push the 140s pretty hard to get 2700fps in that short a bbl, but maybe. Mine is for punching paper, but the 260 would be a much better game getter than the 243 IMO, because of the good SD 140gr bullets running 2700-2800fps.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Actually I,m planning on useing the 110 gr solid sptz bt for fox -wolf and the 120 gr TSX for Bou , Sheep ,goat ect .. 20 " should do . It is still nice and compact . . Thanks for the replies all !!!

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Fred, I think the 6.5C is fine, but I see good factory ammo and perhaps better quality stamped brass as the primary differences. The 260, IF mfg. w/quality stamped brass would likely yield similar accuracy and a performance gain ever so slightly.

Brass options lean me towards the 260, ala 308 size brass everywhere.

The argument of bullet intruding on case capacity.....well I would really like to see any PROBLEMS with a 260 w/comparable bullets seated to OAL fitting to the mag box, in a bbl that is properly throated for those rounds, as I think accuracy would be similar if quality brass used (and that may mean sorted/prepped).

The 47 and C are great in their own right, but one has to accept ltd. brass options.

All do well, but a better brass supply may overtake the other subtle differences for me, just a plinker and hunter, not a competition shooter.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
For me it is about getting a rifle I can work without paying gobs having one built .... If I try a Ruger Compact in 260 , and like it That is what I will go with .. As this rifle will be used in the Interior where there is no salt air / spray / laying in the bottom of a skiff .. The blued steel 6.5 C. would work fine . I would lay in a supply of brass ,like I need to with my 9.3x64Brenneke .....
As I,m getting 2700 fps from a 150 gr bullet with the 16 1/2" barrel 308 with book loads that list in the books @ 2900 fps plus . There is a good chance with the 260 Rem 16 1/2" barrel I can get 2700 fps w/ 120 gr TSX and 2800 fps with the 110 gr solid .... Should be fine even on smaller fur bearers and good on caribou ....... If I can,t then I can try rebarreling it to a nice stiff 20" barrel ...... If I spend a little more to start with and get the 6.5 C in the VT . it is also stainless and the barrel can be shortened ... I will just need to lay in a good supply of brass ...... Confused