Find
Notify
Tools

5.56 x 57 RWS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Does anyone hunt with this round and how do you like it? I have dies and brass and I'm thinking about a fast-twist light weight sporter. Thanks in advance...

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Biggest complaint about the cartridge seems to center around the thick case neck. Because brass is relatively scarce, I'd think instead about its ballistic twin, the 22-6mm or 224 TTH.

I'd be interested to hear from those that do reload what their experience has been.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for the odd neck. But the cases size easily enough. I think I'll need pressures from the higher allowable end to get a gas seal. I don't shoot any one gun enough to wear out 200 rounds of brass except my ARs and pistols. But I have a couple of spare intermediate Mauser actions laying around, I already have a Swift and a 22-250 AI and multiple 6MM calibers. The 22s are both 12 twist, though. Just playing around with something different. When I acquired this stuff there werern't any heavy 22 caliber bullets readily available for hunting. Now there are several.

I realize there's no logical reason to go down this road. Story of my life... hilbily

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone fill me in on the "case neck thickness" issue with this cartridge. Is it unique to RWS factory brass? Or is it an issue with the SAAMI specs for the chamber/leade?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The chamber dimensions of the 5.56 x 57 were designed by RWS for 22 Hornet chamber adapters from the gitgo. It's a specialized cartridge different from any other I know. The case neck is close to three times thicker than normal because the adapter throat fits all the way to the chamber leade and the mouth is thick enough to withstand cartridge pressures. I have no idea if that helped accuracy or not; it's German engineering in all it's glory.

Why would you be overly concerned about shooting Hornets in a 1-8 twist rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone fill me in on the "case neck thickness" issue with this cartridge. Is it unique to RWS factory brass?

Stonie,

No. The thick case neck is unique to this cartridge and it was designed this way to use a subcaliber device for less powerful (read=less velocity cartridges) for economy and to save the bore from the pretty hot full house RWS loads.

These sub-caliber devices use a steel 5.6x57 parent case that holds a .222 or .223 Remington, 22 Hornets or pretty much whatever else you could sub-caliber and insert smaller cases with a .224" bullet.

I've got one of these "cartridges" for my .30/06 Sprg. that shoots 32acp and another for my .223 Remington that shoots 22lr. Neither are particularly accurate (2" @ 50 meters) and the POI isn't all that hot with whatever you've already got sighted-in for either, but as a camp-gun, small report option it's available.

I had a (sadly since passed away) German hunting mentor who used this cartridge almost exclusively (always when on his lease) and I was witness to some pretty spectacular (big) game harvesting he accomplished with the 5.6x57.

RWS makes/loads a 74 grain Cone Point (Kegelspitz) for the 5.6x57 that is a premium game bullet if there ever was one. I use them in the .223 Remington at 2850 fps and they do really well on Roe Deer, doesn't tear 'em up as the high velocity stuff does and punches a nice golf ball sized exit wound - perfect.

The RWS ammo is really spendy and their cases as well; they could be made from 7x57 cases, too.

It's a great niche cartridge but quite frankly instead of the spendy stuff; I'd just make up (or buy off the shelf) a purpose made light barreled quick twist 24" 22-250 Remington sporter and use the right bullets - you'd have similar with less fuss and alot less outlay.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
The chamber dimensions of the 5.56 x 57 were designed by RWS for 22 Hornet chamber adapters from the gitgo. It's a specialized cartridge different from any other I know. The case neck is close to three times thicker than normal because the adapter throat fits all the way to the chamber leade and the mouth is thick enough to withstand cartridge pressures. I have no idea if that helped accuracy or not; it's German engineering in all it's glory.

Why would you be overly concerned about shooting Hornets in a 1-8 twist rifle?

Gerry brings up the same points I had but, since you already have dies & components, no sense not going with a 5.6x57.

I had a friend down in Texas that built himself one. He was vacillating between the 224 TTH and 5.6x57 and a deal fell into his lap so the 5.6 won.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

Don't misunderstand me; I'm just an old miserly cheap jerk who always takes the easy road.
quote:
I realize there's no logical reason to go down this road. Story of my life ...

You've already got Brass & Dies; I've purchased or had rifles made on less than that .... your's sounds like a perfectly sound Business Decision to me.

But to answer the mail, No, I've never or known anyone who reloaded for this cartridge, but seen alot of game taken with it - it's a solid cartridge, despite the thick neck design.

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in that club. Senior Member. Someone had 500 new BeLL 404J cases here earlier this year for $300, shipped and insured. Sixty-cents apiece! Of course, I bought it. That got me thinking a 338 Edge. Then someone had a sweeeeeet new CRF M70 that they had rebarreled to 404J. Three leaf express sights, all the bells and whistles. Then somebody here posted a set of 404J dies for sale.

You just sort of slide down the hill into the swamp every now and then...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.56x57 = 224 Clark = 224 TTH.

At one point in time I had a 224 Clark. Form brass from 257 Roberts in the Clark die, inside ream, FL size, fire form, and down the road.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote