Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr SBS .243 report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
In June I went on a hunting/shooting trip with Mike Smith. He had a Steyr SBS Synthetic in .243 which I was impressed with it's accuracy and function. I've since obtained a similar one (synthetic stock, stainless, 20" barrel).

Today was the first range outing with it. After sighting in I tried 3-shot groups with three different types of factory ammo I had on hand; Winchester 100 gr SP, Federal Premium 85 gr HPBT, and Federal 80gr SP. The 100 and 80 grain stuff was the basic price line variety. All three shot in the 5/8"-3/4".

For me, that kind of accuracy out-of-the box with factory ammo is exceptional.

It does have a "lawyer trigger", which I'm told can be improved with adjustment.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt glad you liked it. It is certainly an accurate and easy handling little gun.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

One of my friends here has just got one in 6.5x55 and he is very impressed with it. It shoots 5 shot groups well under an inch with his handloads with no tinkering!

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I have one in .243 and love it.

Accurate with factory ammo just like you report.
Can do even better with handloads of course.
Mine likes Remington Corelokt 100 gr. best in
factory loads, other than Federal Premium that is.

Gunshop I purchased mine from adjusted the trigger. Is a very nice crisp 2.5 lbs. Overall
a very handy rifle.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your not reloading try the RWS 105grn T Mantle. Works really well out of mine.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Update: Local gunsmith adjusted the trigger to a clean 2.2 pounds. Like the rifle so much that I'm working on a deal for a .308 version.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least you will be able to use the same mags in both. [Big Grin] Did you pick up an extra extension from CDNN?

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Matt:

With a .243 and a .308 Steyr SBS, all you'd need is a .376 Steyr ProHunter to be ready for just about anything. I think CDNN still has some for sale at $499.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, They do but reduced to $459.00 last time I checked.

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Mike:

An even better deal! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote