Find
Notify
Tools

250-3000 on deer or larger??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
popcornIs anyone useing the 250-3K for serious hunting? Any details or comments? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've used both rifle and pistol (custom XP) in .250 Savage -- not to mention the ballistic equivalent .257 JDJ in a 14" Contender -- for a number of years and really liked the performance.

Whether it was varmints, deer or exotics up to 250 pounds, these quarterbores were both efficient and deadly.

My favored projectiles were the 100 grain Ballistic Tip, 85 grain BT and 87 grain Hornady. If my connection speeds up later, I'll post a few kill pictures with these efficient, mild and effective cartridges.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one for years in a Savage 99. Someone convinced me enough money was worth giving it up. I shot 87gr Hornadys in it with occasional 100gr Winchester Silver Tip factory fodder. Simply a really nice reliable deer killing cartridge.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger 77 in 250 sav and a custom mauser in 250 ai.I have shot the first a lot at deer and the latter at varments.I would shoot the ruger more if the barrel was any good(in my opinon it would make a good jack handle).For varments I use the 75gr V-max and for deer I use the 87gr sierra or speer.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to for whitetail, hogs and nilgai is a 257 Roberts with a 100gr TSX at 3000 fps. Never lost an animal and have had numerous bang flops on 200# bucks and hogs.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Perry,

You have used a 257 Roberts on Nilgai? I've heard most outfitters require a 30 magnum or higher. I recently bought a 257 bob so I'm curious about it's practical limits. I have 308 and 338 Federal. I bought the Roberts for lightweight predator/deer/antelope round.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed several whitetail with the .250 in both my Ruger M77 and the old M99. I use 100 gr. Hornadys in the Ruger and 87 and 100 Speer Hot Cores in the M99. So far the furthest one was just over 200 yards, but got full penetration through both shoulders with the 100 Speer at 2800fps muzzle velocity.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Perry,

You have used a 257 Roberts on Nilgai? I've heard most outfitters require a 30 magnum or higher. I recently bought a 257 bob so I'm curious about it's practical limits. I have 308 and 338 Federal. I bought the Roberts for lightweight predator/deer/antelope round.

Only used it on cows no bulls...and wouldn't. i would however use it on elk if given the opportunity and it was in hand.
I love the 257. The recoil is very mild and it kills very well with the TSX. I have killed about 50-100 hogs and deer with it with great results. i bought the gun as a nostalgic novelty and after seeing how it killed I now use it all the time.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perry,

The reason for the 30+ rule is that a nilgai bull has very tough skin, can take a hard hit with little reaction and bleeds very little externally. Now couple that with hunting them in thick brush and you can see the dilemma. A 257 will absolutely kill a nilgai bull...you may not find him though.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
scott

I am very interested in the 338 federal. What are your thoughts on it?

Perry

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here are just a couple animals falling to the medium-capacity .25s. The whitetail buck and doe were taken with a 15” .250 Savage using the Hornady 87 grain Spire Point at a little over 2900 fps. The buck was taken with a quartering shot from 140 yards; the doe was taken with similar presentation from 90 yards.

The buck was facing me, took the bullet through the onside shoulder and made a short dash before piling up. The bullet was recovered near the last rib on the opposite side after penetrating 18-20 inches and was a textbook mushroom (I’ll have to hunt for that photo).

The doe was also slightly quartering and piled up within 20 yards; the bullet did not exit but was not recovered.

The young aoudad was taken right at dark from 190+ yards using a Contender with a 14” .25 JDJ barrel shooting a 100 grain BT at 2653 fps. Taken through both shoulders, he dropped on the spot (the bullet left a quarter-sized exit in its wake).

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I bought the gun as a nostalgic novelty and after seeing how it killed ...
My aquisition of my 25/303 was for similar reasons but it turned out to be such a sweet shootin' rifle I want to use it for everything.
quote:
Whether it was varmints, deer or exotics up to 250 pounds, these quarterbores were both efficient and deadly.
I have found the 85gr ballistic tip deadly on smaller game - and I mean instant killing without blowing them apart. The 25/303 sits between the 250 Savage and the 257 Roberts in capacity and performance but being on a Lee Enfield, I cannot load to 'modern' pressures. But then it seems I don't need to anyway. Now I want a second one to make into a short handy carry carbine. Even without a suppressor the recoil is mild. With a suppressor, the crosshairs hardly move on the target so I can see the sledge hammer effect!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have an uncle who collects Sv 99 rifles, so I have seen many animals taken with 303 Sav, 300 Sav, 22 Hi-power, and the 250-3000.

My grandmother has used it for over 50 years as my aunt, but I have seen amazing kills with this little gun on blacktails and black bear from my uncle. My daughter will probably have on for herself too.

Oh, accuracy has been like a lazer!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry,

I haven't used it on game but it shoots really well and kicks a little more than a 308. Mine is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye. I've only shot federal fusions but it will group 1" if I do my job. I think it's a very efficient cartridge with nice power and minimal recoil. I'm having my stock replaced with a custom stock from Accurate Innovations. I've read it's hard to get factory velocities by reloading but the Fusions are only about $26 a box. At 2700 fps a 200 bonded bullet seems about perfect. It equals the ballistics of a 308 with a 165 grain bullet. I am working up some reloads with 160 TTSX. Barnes lists velocity at almost 3100 FPS with aa-2230.

Overall I really like the rifle/cartridge combo. I plan on using the BOB for deer/antelope and the 338 Federal for CXP3 game like Nilgai. I have a 308 which splits the difference but it's a Mannlicher stocked ruger with a 18" barrel which limits it's range. It's a great rifle for medium ranges. I bought the Federal to give me a little extra power and range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perry,

I haven't used it on game but it shoots really well and kicks a little more than a 308. Mine is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye. I've only shot federal fusions but it will group 1" if I do my job. I think it's a very efficient cartridge with nice power and minimal recoil. I'm having my stock replaced with a custom stock from Accurate Innovations. I've read it's hard to get factory velocities by reloading but the Fusions are only about $26 a box. At 2700 fps a 200 bonded bullet seems about perfect. It equals the ballistics of a 308 with a 165 grain bullet. I am working up some reloads with 160 TTSX. Barnes lists velocity at almost 3100 FPS with aa-2230.

Overall I really like the rifle/cartridge combo. I plan on using the BOB for deer/antelope and the 338 Federal for CXP3 game like Nilgai. I have a 308 which splits the difference but it's a Mannlicher stocked ruger with a 18" barrel which limits it's range. It's a great rifle for medium ranges. I bought the Federal to give me a little extra power and range.

Thanks Scott.
How is the trigger on your Hawkeye? I have heard mixed reviews.

perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry, It' not too bad. Mine is 4.5 lbs with a little creep. I'm fortunate enough to have a gunsmith in my area that can turn Ruger triggers to match triggers for $60. I couldn't believe what he did to my 77 RSI (3.25lbs, zero creep). The 338 will get the same treatment. The BOB I bought was a KIMBER so the trigger spoiled me real fast.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy who used one that was his father's shooter. Worked really great and the fact that he could really shoot helped.

His seemed to be able to keep it in the .8's-1.2's most of the time.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two, use them on Alberta whitetails and mulies, as does a friend with a 99 in this caliber. No problems so far. 100 gr bullets. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote