New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 Ruger 77 VT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im thinking about my first varmint rifle. This will be for everything from coyotes to ground squirrels.I live out west so shots will be up to 350 yards. Does anybody have a ruger 77VT? I dont reload so cheap factory ammo is a must. The rifle comes with a 26 inch heavy barrel and laminated stock. What is your opinion or experience?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont perosnally own but from everyone that does own a Ruger VT is usually more than happy with them, I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

Personally I use Rem 700's for my varmint guns and the vs's and vssf's and vls's all shoot great and have lots of go fast bits available as well.

also check out the rem 700 xr 100 in .223

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersMy cousin who shoots with me most weeks uses one that is MOA with most ammo but particularly with Wincheste white box varmint, 45 or 46 gr. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear that about the winchester white box varmint rounds. They seem to shoot well in most guns and are available at wallymart. Is 46 grain optimum for coyotes?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 25-06. Worst rifle I ever owned. Got rid of it and will NEVER own another 77 of any kind.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got one in 223 that I rechambered to 223 AI. I reckon one of the nicest std varmint rigs around. Barrels are excellent, hardly foul at all, 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups with handloads, the trigger (2 stage) is great unlike other Rugers, & good value fpr money to boot.

What's not to like:

The trigger grip is a bit too big for me
They artificially block the magazine too short.

Minor stuff really, its one of my favourite rifles now.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one that was a bit of a bugger to get to shoot well. Started reloading with 52gr Sierra match projectiles and it was a tack holer but factory ammunition was ho-hum. Considered getting another, but I personally believe that the Savage 12VLP is a better rifle ... so I'll probably go that way.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
I had one that was a bit of a bugger to get to shoot well. Started reloading with 52gr Sierra match projectiles and it was a tack holer but factory ammunition was ho-hum. Considered getting another, but I personally believe that the Savage 12VLP is a better rifle ... so I'll probably go that way.
Cheers...Con

Between my ruger Varmint in .243 and my Savage Varmint in .223 the Savage has the edge at this moment, but not by much. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the look of the rifle so I guess its a good place to start. Thanks for the imput.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunny,

I have one and it is a good place to start... Minus all the negativity listed above, mine has worked out well... but I also have some Remington, and a Savage in heavy barreled 223 also... they all do well..

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny: I bought a Ruger 77 V/T (slightly used!) in caliber 223 Remington just this past April.
I got a killer deal on this Rifle and as usual when Varmint Rifles are concerned before I turn a profit on them, I shoot them!
Just in case they are really good shooters - then I forego the profit motive and keep the Rifle for my own use!
In this case I chose to "keep" this particular Ruger 77 V/T for myself!
It shoots, really well!
I like the new model Ruger 77 V/T! I have another that I bought new, a few years ago, and this one is in caliber 204 Ruger!
Back to my 77 V/T in 223.
During my first range session with it I shot groups in the 4's with it!
And the ammo I was using was for a different Rifle I have!
I have a Weaver KT-15 (straight 15 power) scope on it.
I love the style, fit and looks of the 77 V/T's laminated stock and the trigger's on my 77 V/T's are very crisp and relatively light!
The stocks are very well designed and I have used them from every imagineable position and type of rest - they have no drawbacks that I can perceive!
The triggers do have a two stage take-up, but I have learned to live with that!
I hope if you try one of the 77 V/T's that you are as happy with it as I am with mine!
Best of luck to ya!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
I used to have the LE version, same gun but with a gray/black laminated stock and matte blue metalwork.

I really liked it, and it shot well for 10-15 rounds from a clean bore. But it copper fouled quickly and accuracy would fall off. Then it was a bear to get clean again.

So I sent it off to Blackstar for their cryo treatment and bore polishing. That did the trick and it would hold .75 MOA or under groups for at least 50 rounds. I was shooting it in a weekly rifle league and got to know it very well.

I had to sell a bunch of guns when I was laid off in 2002. I've been able to buy a few back, some that I had sold to friends and others that I have found on the used racks. But I havne't replaced this one yet, and may not. My Remingtons that I have now are just as good without all the extra work.

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i own one in 22/250 and could not be happier with it. had to get the trigger worked but it shoots really well.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote