Find
Notify
Tools

17 PPC ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted
anybody shooting one? I have a 24.5" 9 Twist blank just waiting for me to make up my mind...was considering a BR but it may be a bit too much case. A friend sent me some back issues from Small Caliber News. Ive been wanting to fully discuss the issue with Todd Kindler but haven t been able too yet. Any opinions?
Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
I don't have one, but have read alot of posts from shooters of this caliber. You will definitely want a 9 twist, since that case is well suited to the heavier bullets, [27, 29, 30 grain, for example] and you'll need a 9 twist to stabilize those. You should visit www.saubier.com and look for threads on the .17 PPC at that web site.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a .17BR. However, since 1972 I have owned rifles chambered for the .17/222 mag imp with 40 degree shoulder.

The .17/222 mag imp. has a case capacity of about 31.5 grains, the .17 PPC has a capacity of about 32.0 grains, and from memory the .17 BR has a capacity of 33-34 grains.

I have been achieving 4100 - 4175 fps with the 30 grain bullet in the .17/222 mag imp., many people have reported getting the same velocity in the .17 PPC, and I recall several getting just over 4200 fps in a .17 BR.

The advantage of using bigger cases in any bore size is with the heavier bullets. The heaviest commercially made bullet in .17 is the 37 grain Berger VLD which has the impressive BC of .343.
However, this bullet requires a 1 in 7 twist barrel to stabilise it.

I chronographed the Berger 37 grain VLD in my .17 Mag. and achieved about 3740 fps, with the bullet keyholing into the target some 20 metres behind my chronograph. So the .17 BR should achieve about 3900 fps with this bullet, if it could hold together. A few people have reported that they cannot get it to shoot accurately over 3500 fps.

Unfortunately there are no commercially made bullets in the 33-35 grain range which a 1 in 9 twist barrel would stabilise. Genco (who advertised on www.saubier.com) do make a 32 grain bullet.

I have been testing the 30 grain bullets by Hammett, Kindler, and Berger. The Berger's start coming apart above 3800 fps, while the other two are reliable at 4100.

I believe that the case capacity of the .17BR would be best suited to bullets in the 35 - 40 grain range, but due to the 1 in 9 twist,that is not possible.

So whether it is worth burning 2-3 grains more powder than a 17 PPC, .17/222 MAG Imp, or .17/223 Imp. for a velocity increase of 50 -75 fps is a decision for you to ponder over. Good luck, Brian

Posts: 54 | Location: Oaklands Park. South .A.ustralia | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote