Find
Notify
Tools

223 Twist Rate Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I did not want to hijack Sonny Burnett's thread but I have a question about twist rate.

SeafireB17G posted that his 1-9 can stabilize 77 and 80 grain bullets. Those two bullets are quite different in length as the 77 can be loaded to mag length.

Conventional wisdom has been 1-7 to 1-8 twist in AR service rifles.

Does adding 6-8" of barrel length compensate for less twist rate? or is 1-9 all that is really needed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to use the heavy bullets, I'd go at least 1-8. The slower twist may work, but not likely. Picking up velocity will change things as the rotational speed (rpm) goes up. That is why you can use a 1-14 twist on a .220 Swift, it will stabilize heavier bullets than .223 velocities.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
1in9 is good IF you have enough velocity ...... I was unable to get 70 gr TSX bullets to stabilize in 2 different 1 in 9 twist barrels . one that had 20" of actual barrel length a Rem 700 VTR and one a 24" barrel CZ527 Varmint ... Velocity was around 3000 fps.possibly 2900 fps in the 24" barrel as it was pretty cold when I shot those loads .. They made nice oval holes thru the target ..... The cz shot them much more accurately than the vtr did .. About a 2" group @ 100 yrds as opposed to about an 8" pattern with the vtr ......But the bullet holes thru the target were the same for both rifles ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1/7 or 1/8 is good to go. I shoot 55gr and up. 1/9 is an ify situation w. the heavier bullets. Some barrels will do well while others do not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go 1:7. Adding barrel length will not compensate for slower twist.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My 223 Service and Match Highpower rifles sport either 1-7.7 or 1-8 in barrels. They shoot the 77 and 80 grain SMK's great. No problems there.

I keep reading where some people can shoot the 80's in a 223 with 1 in 9 and other cannot.

As stated above it seems as though it possibly could be a function of velocity. Longer barrel bolt guns should generate generate more velocity than a service rifle.

Picture of Specter65
posted Hide Post
My Savage 10FLP .223 with 24" barrel will shoot 75gr bullets quite well. I used to shoot a model 12VLP with a 26" barrel and it was only slightly faster with the same round. Seeing that others are able to shoot a 77gr bullet makes me want to test that in my rifle.

-----------------------------------------
Theology is a way for people to explain that which they don't know. Science is a way for people to say "I don't know this.... Let's figure it out!"

Posts: 15 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote