New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Nitrex & .260Rem.
 Login/Join

<ovis>
posted
I just began reloading and worked up a load for my .260Rem. At the range, the .260Rem handled the handloads w/no problem. I had about forty rounds of Speer Nitrex 140 grain so I proceeded to burn it up. I was surprised to find that not only did they not group consistently, there were a bunch that sounded so differently that my wife came outside to see what was going on. I know that I don't have to buy factory ammo anymore but
that was a real eye opener.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion, but if they were that inconsistent (that someone removed from the firing would approach to see what was going on) I would take the ends of the boxes that have the ammo lot number and send it to the manufacturer with a detailed description of why I was sending the lot information to them. Sounds like something was amiss on the loading line that day!

LouisB

Advice is as worthy as its cost.

[ 10-15-2002, 03:04: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Louis. But I'll add that while I shoot little factory ammo (other than rimfire), I ran some Speer Nitrex .260 through the paces and found it to be very consistent -- and the only .260 factory fodder that actually came close to its advertised muzzle velocity claim during a "test" a couple of years ago.. From a 26" barrel of a Rem VLS, it clocked 2737 (claimed vel. is 2750 from a 24" bbl). The Rem 140 grain ammo was more than 200 fps slower. Of course, like I mentioned, that was a couple of years ago...

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote