New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 Rimmed question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am picking up a Martini Cadet in 222 Rimmed.My question is-can I use standard 222 Remington dies for this and just use a different shell holder?

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cartridges of the World (8th ed, p156), says that the 222 rimmed is a rimmed version of the 222Remington--implying that the same dies can be used. It also says that the Australian-made brass ("Super 222") is thicker and the laod data for the 222 Rem should be reduced one grain for the Super ("when approaching maximum"). --the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
<bearmanmt>
posted
Brian,
I used to own a .222 Rimmed. Yes, regular .222 Remington dies are used. If I recall correctly, the correct shell holder is the same as that used on the .38-.357 Mag.
The gun that I had had a Bob Snapp extractor (Snapps Gun Shop). This extractor allowed the use of .222 Remington ammo in my gun. This is essentially a rimless extractor that has a spring loaded piece that snaps over the rimless .222 Remington. My gunsmith modified this extractor so that I could use both rimmed and rimless .222 s in it.
The .222 Rimmed brass is available from Bertram or the Super cartridge company. Both are in Australia. Bertram cases are widely available here in the US from a variety of suppliers including Midway, RCBS and others.
The .222 Rimmed brass has LOTS LESS case capacity. I would recommend using 20% less than the starting loads in any good loading book. My rifle shot very well using 4198, with pretty good velocity. With the rimmed cases' capacity so small, one cannot get regular .222 Remington velocities. However, they are still quite a bit above .22 K-Hornet velocities especially with heavier bullets. One last thing, many .222 Rimmed rifles were rechambered .22 Rimfire rifles. This means that your rifle may have a 1 in 16" twist. (Most .22 Centerfires have a 1 in 14" twist or tighter). Your rifle may not stabilize heavier bullets if it has the 1 in 16" twist. You will have to experiment and find out.
Hope this helps.
Great Shooting!
The Bearman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearman,

Thanks for the info.I am buying Bertram brass direct from Australia for $8.50 per 20.

The rifle doesn't have a rimfire barrel,so it should shoot heavier bullets fine.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote