THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: 240 Apex & 244(H&H Magnum)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 240 Apex & 244(H&H Magnum)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My .240 Incinerator will do 4,400 fps with a 70 grain ballistic tip using surplus powder (.264 Win Mag necked to 6mm and blown out....basically an improved 6mm Atlas. The 6mm Mach IV is also very similar). There's an article on my website that covers the round.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Have never chronograp[hed either round, but COTW indicates that the .244 H&H is about the same as the 6mm Remington.

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Anyone shoot either of these Holland and Holland cartridges?

I was wondering what velocities were like.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Beware! I did research on a really fine 240apex 2 years ago. 90% of these and the 244 are not suited to modern ammunition due to bore size. This will not be stated in the catalogue. Quite often the rifle will have been checked by H&H who will have noted this in the records. The only way to get it to shoot modern ammo and retain value is to rebarrel via H&H - around �4k yes �4k!

It would be possible to slug the bore and then order a bullet swaging die from Corbin or Z hat and reload. The 240apex is 6mm rem MV and the 244 about 240Wby Mag. Apparently the triggers and barrels can be pretty ropey.

Oh and the one I had my eye on had a guide of �1500 and went for �4000 - you have been warned!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
A certain well known British writer on rifles and deer has a 6mm/.375mag wildcat built on an old Brno magnum action. I have seen the rounds but not the rifle. These looked pretty impressive.
He was allegedly getting volocities in the 4200-4300 fps range with a 100grn 6mm slug. I am told the effect on deer was pretty dramatic.

Regards
Brian.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote