THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: 25.06 Rem 700 Mountain Rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25.06 Rem 700 Mountain Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have three mountain rifles, a 30-06, a 270, and a 260. All are shooters. The 25-06 isn't a cataloged item anymore. They made special runs of them just like they did the 7x57 and 257. Should be a good rifle for you.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch for all your replies. I did notice that the 25.06 was not listed on the Remington web site. I wondered if it was just a special run.

Thanks again

Posts: 9 | Location: Manchester, Tn | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thinking of a 25-06?? Yes--I have advice get a .270. Why? Both gonna have blast and recoil and similar weight bullet it will be about the same. True the 25-06 has lighter bullets available---to me that's so what. Said blast and recoil doesnt make it a varmint gun--for my type varmint shooting. My type for example being shooting possibly 100 jackrabbits in a night from a pickup. I dont want to be around that much blast even if it's someone else doing the shooting. Thats why they have .22 centerfires. With 25-06 you are limited to 120 grainers----.270 will go much higher and it makes a bigger hole. In my books,whatever it is a 25-06 does the .270 does better.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
JR, I have the Mtn. Rifle in the .25-06 and like it for a combination varmint and deer rifle in the east. I see you live in TN and doubt that you will be shooting jack rabbits by the 100s so the .25-06 will do fine for groundhogs, coyote, or deer. I like and own the .270 Win., but personal preference for V&D combination is the .25-06.
Drawbacks to the Mtn. Rifle as previously stated are the short thin barrel, but it is nice to carry.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I"m not going to comment on the Remington. It's a different issue with me.

The .25-06 is a good choice! I have both a .257 Roberts and a .25-06. I like the Hornady 75gr. HP's for varmints and there are many good choices for deer and antelope.
Skip the .270! It's small for Elk, Moose, ect. and although it comes into it's own as a deer and antelope round it doesn't really outperform the .25's. If you can't get it done with a .25-06 the .270 won't be much of an improvement. The .25-06 gets used on Elk regularly with success. Not that it's an Elk rifle but it's no slouch.
I probably stepped on a bunch of toes with this post but this is an open forum, and I honestly don't care for the .270. It is an in-between cartridge. Not big enough to be decisive on bigger game, to big for smaller game and coyotes, and only seems to shine when shooting at deer and antelope. If it could only out-shine the .25's !!!!!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't like DM so if you could find one of the older ones, go for it. I have shot several in .270 & .280 & they were very accurate.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote