THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Is there such thing as a 25-08 so to speak?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there such thing as a 25-08 so to speak?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am really thinking about getting a 6.5-08 or .260 Rem. if you will but started thinking about getting it in .25cal because my dad shoots a 25-06 so I don't need to make room on the shelf for more bullets.
Any info on this such as how it performs, how fast, what loads, and who did the barrel would be helpful.

Thanks

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With some searching I have found out that it is often called a 25 souper.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 25 Souper is quite a dandy cartridge, pretty much does 95% of what a 25-06 does. There's load data for it in the Wolfe Wildcats book. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
L.S. nailed it.

The 25 Souper has been around for a long time and performs very well from all accounts. However, you might consider the .257 roberts which would slightly out-perform the souper in equal bbl. w/equal pressures. Of course the big advantage being, the Bob is a std cartridge and would be way easier to sell down the road than something so obscure as a 25 Souper.

JimF

<Big Stick>
posted
Think of a 25-284,long and hard.

Besides,who'd sell a great rifle? Build something great and shoot the shit out of it.

Now THAT,is happiness...................

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really want to build it custome but that doesn't mean that factory stuff is out but I think it will be a wildcat of some sort. My other top contender is a .260 AI or a .270/.308 AI

<scrim>
posted
Lucky,
If you're keen on the 270-08AI, have a chat to Mark at Kailua Custom (www.kailuacustom.com). He builds a few of these each year, is really helpfull and always replies to any questions you may have. He's able to get some fairly impressive performance from his rifles too, about 3000-3100 fps from a 24" tube and 130-140gr bullets.

A mate is in the process of building a 270-08 on a Tikka action. If that works out alright, I will too. If not, it will be a 270-08AI with 40 degree shoulder for sure.

Cheers
scrim

<Don Martin29>
posted
As soon as the .308 Winchester was out it was necked to .25 and called the .25 Souper. Big claims were made for it which is usual with wildcats.

Warren Page had already been working with experimental ordinance cases (T-65=.308W) and had the .240 Page which was a .308 Win with a 30 degree shoulder and a full 5/16's neck. Alas Winchester adopted the same shoulder angle as the .308 Win and the .358 Winchester.

The reloading bugs and Page himself preferred the sharper shoulder and longer neck of the experimental cartridge and working with Fred Huntington of RCBS page had a reamer made with a 28 degree shoulder and 2.22 case length. This rifle was named by Page as the Page Souper Pooper and the 6mm's took off in popularity leaving the .25 bore where they found it, out of the mainstream.

<JimF>
posted
But Schtick:

If I don't sell off the old ones, then I can't build any more new ones. Where's the fun in that??

JimF

[ 10-02-2002, 08:58: Message edited by: JimF ]

<Big Stick>
posted
Jim,

I failed to realize,that those of you in the PRK,were on a Rifle Quota(grin).

I find it nearly impossible to sell a highly accurate rifle,of modest recoil,that excells in so many roles. I guess I am greedy,in that way?!?

I am powerless!.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky,
Since you posted that other question about gunsmiths in the Sac area, I will let you know that Craig Maraviov just made a 25.08 for his daughter. He made it on a short action Model 700 not a Model 7. Did a bunch of stuff to lighten it up and put a muzzle brake on so it wouldn't kick her. It is a sweet little rifle. He even stamped the barrel 25 Maraviov but it's nothing more than the 25 Souper that you mentioned. Give him a call after he gets back and I'm sure he can give you the details.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick,

I don't think you should be so closed minded to JimF's ideas. You'll never know for sure if he has it "figured out" unless you give his idea a try. Pick out one of those nice quarter-bores.......maybe one of those oddball 25-284's.......with one of those oddball 600 actions.......even one of those skinny barreled ones wearing girl's paint and send it down my way to Arkansas! Then you can go off and build anything your heart desires. Man what fun I'm gonna......er, ahh,......I mean your gonna have!!!

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Wild,

Jim knows I'm funnin' him. Though he doesn't know what he's missing,in the 25-284!

I've dabbled a fair amount in various 25's and am far from done,as there are several more that intrigue me on different levels. I couldn't bear the thought of your pards funning you,toting such a bastardized creation around,so's I best keep it to myself.

Though I'd love to oblige you,it would be most difficult to pry a certain Pink Rifle from my grubby mitts.................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats a 284 case look like? Is it a long action round or med.?

<Big Stick>
posted
The 25-284 is perfectly housed in a short action Rem 700's(my favorite action to build upon)2.800"-ish magazine box. One of mine is on a short 700,the other a 600 and multiple pards have them on Model Sevens. All Remington short actions,share the same magazine box length.

My preference for Game is the X and the 100gr XLC(the heaviest projectile I shoot in any of my 25's) is perfectly at home in a 700 short,that is chambered in 25-284 and throated sanely.

The 100XLC will break 3400fps,out of my 23" tube,my 24" tube is a smidge faster. The 75gr V-Max and X,will both break 3750fps,in both those lengths.

Accuracy is sensational,brass life is stellar(I like W/W 284 hulls)and terminal effects are amazing.

I much prefer the 25-284 to the 257Roberts and 257Roberts AI,regarding short action chamberings and the 25-06 in the long. My 25-06AI and 257Wby's will out run all of them,but they are long action offerings and of increased capacities,in comparison.

Without reservation,the 25-284 is my favorite short action 25cal chambering. I'm hoping my pending 257WSM,will be the cream of the crop. Time will tell,on that one...............

<Big Stick>
posted
 -

Left to right: 25-284,25-06,25-06Ackley and 257Wby................

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did sum surfing and found out a fair amount about the 6-284 and 6.5-284 and man that looks like a really sweet round. I like the results you get with the 6.5 most of all though. It looks as though Norma now makes cases now, RCBS,Reading, and Hornady all make dies for the 6.5 and the accuracy is really good.

<JimF>
posted
Schtick:

Nice photo I'll take the tall one, second from the left, you can have the short girl, or the fat girls. Pink rifles......Eeeeeech!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Jim

<Big Stick>
posted
Jim,

I never said my tastes are mainstream(grin). I'll take that wallflower.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw, shoot Stick, there you go again...another sucker has fallen for that 25-284 lady you keep dangling out there. It won't be no time before he's gatherin' up the components he needs to build one...I just hope he don't don't paint it PINK, like a certain other rifle.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
It is a seriously great cartridge,no matter what the color of the rifle(grin).

I'm thinkin' about building another one,just to keep the juices flowing............

<Jeff in ND>
posted
Take a look at the 257DGR. It is a 260Rem necked down to 25 with the 30degree shoulder and a slightly lengthed neck.

http://www.duanesguns.com

I love mine.
Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

<JoeM>
posted
Yes, there is a 25-308 Standard neckdown and Ackley. Go to the Clymer reamer page, it has the dimensions there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That 257DGR is a good looking round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They say the .257 STW outperforms the .257 Weatherby........

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And it does. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<bjk>
posted
A Varmint Masters from about a year ago has an article about the 25-308 or 25 souper....The cover has the Twin Towers on it...said it is a pretty easy project...

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Shot:
With some searching I have found out that it is often called a 25 souper.

<Gary in Ohio>
posted
I can't believe no one mentioned the 250 Savage AI. I think has a bit less powder capacity but is close.