THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    130 grain Barnes TSX and 308 Winchester?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

130 grain Barnes TSX and 308 Winchester?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
Anyone have experience with this combination?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the old 140 grain x bullet in my .308 and they worked great at 250 yards on white tail.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed several deer with 47 grains of H4895 propelling the 130 grain TSX's. In my experience deer will run a little farther than they do when shot with a more frangible bullet but the bullets almost always exit and leave a great blood trail. I've only recovered 2 bullets and they could be used for a Barnes ad.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 18 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 3 reds with it.

2 headshot so no real test, 1 spike shot at 45yards through 1 shoulder. Fell immediately but raised it's head for about 10 seconds before expiring.

I really don't like deer being able to raise their heads like that, not seen it with 'normal' bullets.

I found varget and similar powders filled the case too full so ended up with IMR 3031.