Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with Rem 700 VTR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
... so far I am very sorry I got a Rem , instead of a Ruger .... Any one know how to make a Rem 700 in 223 not jam real regularly .....???????????

Any one know how to make the X Mark pro trigger adjust down to 2 lbs and still cock the rifle 100 % of the time ???

So far my best groups are running around 1.5 " ... I can shoot that well with my 458 .... How heavy a bullet will the 1-9" twist stabilize .. It doesn,t seem to do very well with 55 gr ..?????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
How heavy a bullet will the 1-9" twist stabilize .. It doesn,t seem to do very well with 55 gr ..?????

With a 1 in 9" twist you should be good up to 69 grains in the .223. I just read an article by David Fortier where he was giving high praise to a new .223 Wolf 75 Grain loading in 1 in 9" twist AR-15's. But I have never shot any, and I would be a bit skeptical about 75 Grains in anything over a 1 in 7" twist. I have zero experience with either the VTR Model, or the X-Mark trigger, so perhaps someone who has one can chime in. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 223 VTR. It had problems with STIFF chambering when it was new....this was caused by poor fit and finish in the extractor( hard to get to slip over case rim). I got the local gunsmith to fix it for the WHOPPING price of $4...LOL.

I have my trigger set at SLIGHTLY under 2# and never had a problem.

How many rounds have you shot in rifle? Mine is progressivly getting better. When I first got it was a bit over 1.5" avreage.....then a bit over 1"....now it is around .75"...after @ 200 rounds. This is all with the same factory load of 50gr bulk(200 pk) federal hollow point ammo from wall-mart.

I just worked up a load of LC brass, 26gr H335, Remington 7.5 primers, and 50gr sierra blitz #1340 bullets seated at 2.280" that will group into less than 1/2" at 100.

oh.....had a problem with a remington one time not cocking every time......we had the back screw holding the action to stock to tight ????????just something to think about

good luck
224TTH

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. Thanks for the replies .. I degreased the trigger with brake cleaner and adjusted the pull weight up to 4 or more pounds , so it cocks reliably , but that eliminates the ablity to hit a moving fox , or even one standing still at any distance ... I really had high hopes for this rifle , but with the unreliable feeding I,m not going to put 150 bucks into a JARD trigger.......

Anyone got a Ruger they want to trade ??????

I,ve put around 150 rounds thru it so far...

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Among highpower (target) shooters, the 223 700 Rem is famous for feeding problems. Sometimes it takes a lot of twiddlin'.

If your barrel's like many Rems of late, it's probably rough as a cob and could stand a lapping or an extensive break-in. It'll eventually shoot well but it may take a while.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another option is to try a box of the Tubb Final Finish Ammo. I ran a box through my Ruger Model 77 Stainless in .30-06. I couldn't get it to group worth a damn. After the Tubb treatment it closed right up to the point it will cut a single ragged hole. I never thought the stuff would work until I actually tried it. It isn't too often you can clean up a bore my just going to the range and shooting! Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. I,ve thot about the Tubb bore lap kit , and also a Sims Barrel De Resonator . I don,t know how it would work in the cold , or with the triangle barrel ????????????..

The biggest problem is I thot it would be great ,so once I got it sighted in I painted it ......I probably could have traded it for a Ruger or CZ ..... I,m not putting any more money into it ......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gumboot, what color did you paint it?

When I first saw those rifles I wondered about the triangle barrel and couldn't figure that out. I think the Remington XR-100 and the Sendero are terrific rifles but sure am glad I steered clear of the VTR.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
This color ... .

White with tan ..., unless there is uv brighteners in the paint it is fairly invisible ...

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Is there a rifle in that pic somewhere? Confused

If so it is very well camoflaged!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. Yes , I,m aiming it about 65 degrees to the right of the camera . I am kneeling down amd aiming the rifle , most of the rifle is in plain view ........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you darn sure got the color right. I think its worth some gunsmith time to fix issues.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. At this time the biggest thing it has going for it is it,s short barrel ,it is easy to have around ...... I may keep it as a spare till I can get a few Rugers ........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
your trigger problem isn't weight of pull, but rather sear engagement.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take that thing home with me if you bring it to Reno and fix it up for you.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well the only thing I can say is that is the most realistic wood shed ghillie that you are wearing, but I still can't see the rifle..

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I,m over by the brush line ,, This is ultra typical willow swamp flat land brush for the Interior , there are many millions of acres of the stuff here ... I,m just to the left of the spruce tree in the fore ground ...... In point of fact I can,t see the rifle either.. But it is in my camo mittened lunch hooks ....... When I first looked at the pics .I couldn,t see myself .... I was getting upset with my wife because she was saying she couldn,t see me to take the pictures ... I would wave my arm , then go back to aiming the rifle and she would yell , where did you go , and I would yell back , JUST TAKE THE PICTURE ., she would yell , where , I,de yell TAKE THE PICTURE ... I was sweatin pretty good time she took several snaps .....It was only about 5 below at the time so I was really warm ........ I can thank TC Encore from the Predator Masters forum for the inspiration to disappear in plane sight .......

Is the engagement the rear screw ???? ..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not getting Remington's reasoning for the whole triangulated barrel thing. It's ugly, does nothing for accuracy, and in fact may detrimental to it. It's about as "stylish" as clunky boots, kinky hair, and granny dresses. I'm seeing these things in stock everywhere, and heavily discounted. That isn't because people are standing in line to buy them. This gun will go away faster than a Republican at an Obama fundraiser. Bill T.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear bilt,

Please don't hold back on your point of view. In the future please tell us what you really think.

I think the paint job is well done and Gumboot should get extra trade value for it. Get Gumboot a top-of the-line Cooper not an old regular Ruger.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Dear bilt,

Please don't hold back on your point of view. In the future please tell us what you really think.

I think the paint job is well done and Gumboot should get extra trade value for it. Get Gumboot a top-of the-line Cooper not an old regular Ruger.
. animal rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be lucky. My Remington 223 feeds just fine and I use 55grain bullets. Both Soft points and FMJ's.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine now shoots and works GREAT, BUT I also had a problem with my VTR when new......the bolt did not want to close on a round. I took it to the gunsmith and he tried a go guage and it was VERY hard to close. Then he had a LOT of trouble getting the SS go guage out....LOL With brass the extractor just snapped over the rim while shaving off a TINY sliver of brass.....not so with SS go guage. He then worked on the polish/fit/finish of the bolt face and extractor. VIOLA worked fine after about 20 min. of working on it. I ask what I owed him??? "how about $4 for time and effort"!!!!!!!! LOL...OK
Have I mentioned he is good and VERY VERY VERY cheap! He built my buddies 224TTH for Less than $100 cash and the gunsmith kept the factory barrel! He chambered/threaded/installed a barrel blank, trigger job, and inletted/shortened stock. He also built my 224TTH and they BOTH shoot REALLY well.

later
224TTH

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
....I,m so used to controlled feed rifles that I usually don,t think alot of feeding , but this rifle will jam ,, free of charge , no problem . The point of the bullet bangs into the barrel under and to the right of the chamber .......
I think what the deal is, is the action is a standard short action , which is pretty huge for a little 223 round , lots of room for them little guys to go wandering astray ......... The Ruger is also , but with the extractor mucklin ahold of the rim ,like a mother with a kids ear , it leads the round on a straight and narrow path of obedience right into the chamber ........

Pegleg , you must have well disciplined ammo rotflmo Just kidding .

I,m not a fan of the cold glass rod trigger either . So I will increase the sear engagement and lighten the pull weight , see if that cures the problem .........When the tempeture drops 80 degrees ,40 above here right now , I will see if it reliably cocks the rifle ......I guess I should order some 65 gr Game Kings , see if they work .....