THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Looking for new or used 17-225 dies

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for new or used 17-225 dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Up until a couple of years ago, rcbs listed both 17-225 reloading dies and case forming dies... now that I'm interested in experimenting with the 17-225 they've dropped the reloading dies. Does anyone have any leads as to where one might look (and maybe even find) said dies??
many thanks,
greg

[ 08-31-2003, 18:51: Message edited by: gmushial ]

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I just checked:
http://www.ch4d.com/
But they don't list it. Bet they'd make it for you though!
Must really be an oddball, since they don't list it. They claim over 1300 different caliber dies made.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Dane -
Thanks for the pointer. I was hoping not to have to have a set made up... was hoping that since rcbs listed them for 15+ years that someone knew of an unloved, dust collecting set, either in their collection or on a store shelf.
again, thanks,
greg

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no gunsmith, but what about setting the barrel back and going to a .22BR or PPC, necked to .17? But I guess that didn't answer your question, did it.
I would think a 17BR or PPC would be a bunch easier on the barrel. And I often wondered how long .225 brass will be maufactured, as it never really set the gun world on fire, sales wise.
Stepchild

[ 09-01-2003, 15:53: Message edited by: stepchild 2 ]

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stepchild -
Thanks for the reply... but actually, we're looking for an explicitly overbore configuration, where we can do some internal ballistics experimentation... looking for a way to get to 4000fps type velocities, and keeping the barrel alive for longer than one would expect in such a configuration. As such, as strange as it might seem, a 17 br or 17ppc wouldn't be overbore enough. Anyway, it looks like we'll be going with the 17/22-250 - both reloading and case forming dies are off the shelf items. W/re 225 brass not being available (again) - at the current moment we have a couple thousand pieces... which should last us a year or two... but then what?? By going to the 17/22-250 we should have brass forever.
again, thanks for the reply,
greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
If i remember correctly that's called the .17 Flintstone Super Eye Bunger-- according to Ackley's book. Man wouldn't you like to find out the story on that designation, ehh. The Wolfe Publications book, "Wildcat Cartridges" has an article with some info. on those wildcats-- but very little technical info.-- just a general discussion.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, I know that these are wildcats y'all are talking about, but did anyone come up with any brass with the corresponding headstamp?

Posts: 35 | Location: BC | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote