THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    45 or 53 gr TSX in Slow Twist .22-250?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 or 53 gr TSX in Slow Twist .22-250?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of trying the tsx in my 1:14 twist .22-250. I've heard rumors that the 53 gr tsx is too long for the 1:14, but wanted to get first hand information.

Any hints and tips are welcome.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I know a couple folks who said they got decent results with 1:14s and the 53 grain TSX, but quite a few others reported just the opposite.

I wouldn't get my hopes too high for the 53 grain Barnes in the 1:14.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 53s would not shoot in my 14 twist Winchester. Have not tried 45s.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Barnes says they need a 1:12" twist but that the 45 is made for 1:14 twists.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Now, if you already have the 53s, this would be the perfect excuse to tell "Santa" a new rifle with a faster twist is in order. After all, it would be a shame to waste all those bullets... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine gave me a box of 53s last year to try in my 22-250 for Antelope. I couldn't get them to shoot in my 223 Rem 700 take off barrel that's chambered to 22-250. I'm guessing it's 1-14.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Hmm,

I must be lucky..

both shoot minute of deer out of any of the 22.250s I have..several having a one in 14 twist...

maybe its using Blue Dot in the 223 and 22.250s that stabilizing them...

they make a great bullet if you hunt shoot thousands of deer with a 22 Hornet...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Know of a fellow in Canada that used the 45gr bullet in his Fireball to take a muley doe. One shot in the ribs was all it took. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my 14" twist .222 the 45 grain TSX shoots nicely.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
53's shoot out of (2) 1:14 22-250's I load for with great results.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used nothing but the 53gr TSX's out of my 1:14 Rem LVSF in 22-250. Shoots great and haven't had any accuracy or performance problems on deer or antelope. They are running right at 3850fps max velocity. That may help.

My suggestion is to try them, and if they don't shoot, go to the 45gr.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wimped out and picked up a box of the 45 grain bullets. With a bit of luck, I'll make it to the range tomorrow and do a little testing.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've loaded some of the 53 grainers in my 22-250 and taken some smaller mulie bucks at long ranges with them.

I remember that the accuracy was ok somewhere in the area of .8 - 1.3 but not outstanding as the Nosler BT proved to be.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first accuracy testing produced very indifferent results; groups of roughly an inch at 100 yards. The same rifle consistently produces 1/2 inch groups with Sierra 55 gr bullets.

The accuracy is adequate but no better; maybe I'll try another powder next time.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wimped out and picked up a box of the 45 grain bullets.

I don't understand that statement. Confused

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have preferred to use the 53 grain bullets. Since I don't have another .22 centerfire, the remainder of the box would be useless if they didn't work out.

Of course, spare bullets needing to be shot up is always an excellent rationale for the purchase of a new rifle.

Smiler

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Of course, spare bullets needing to be shot up is always an excellent rationale for the purchase of a new rifle.

Smiler

There is a lot of wisdom and, I guess, experience in this remark.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the samples, SD. I appreciate the offer greatly. With a bit of luck, I'll try them this weekend.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My browning micro in 22-250 shoots the 45gr's very well, load them up around 3800+ and start seating .030". I seat mine .035 off the lands and load with 38.5gr of H380 = .5" groups and my gun is 1:14

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no problem, just make sure to give us the full report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made it to the range today. This time, I tried Benchmark with the 45 gr bullets and RL 15 with the 53 gr bullets. Previously, I had tried AA2520 with the 45 gr bullets for mediocre results.

Today was a nice day without being dead calm. With occasional moderate wind, I managed to shoot a 0.710 (roughly) group with the 45 gr load and a 0.830 (roughly) group with the 53 gr load. In all honesty, I was very surprised that the 53 gr load shot so well, as I had so many problems with the 60 gr Hornady bullet.

I had seen others mention that the tsx did best when driven hard, so both these loads were 0.5 gr under the max listed on the Hodgdon website. Obviously, the other reports had an element of truth to them.

I'm really pleased that the 53 gr load shot so well; it was much better than I expected. Once again, thank you SD.

Smiler

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome,

Thanks for the report.

SD