New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have I done?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a weak moment I bought a new rifle, I know, I know. Well, its a 1903 Mannlicher Shoenuaer, I am asuming a sporterized Greek military in 6.5x54. It is in quite good shape, the barrel appears to be a factory sporter, Marble's ramp front an semi-buckhorn rear sight, round swept back knob bolt handle, marked Breda 1927. Bore is really good. Now what do I do with it? I need to re-stock it and replace the bolt handle with a butterknife style. Where is a good source for scope mounts for the split rear bridge design? Who cuts out a stock for one? GAG or Richard's? Anyone got any photos of one thats been done? Ammo and Loads? I needed another project like the proverbial hole in the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
A couple of my Scandinavian friends own these rifles in stutzen form.I was admiring them last November in Norway. I mentioned an interest in getting one,they do have a sweet,sweet action !
One of the hunters sons works for a gunsmith in S.Sweden.
He obligingly rang his son,yes they had a very fresh one in stock but it had never had any type of optics mounted.
A discussion took place in the hunting cabin that evening over a bottle of Linea and umm..maybe a bottle of Jameson too. What kind of mounts ?? The only mounts they have their rifles fitted with are einhack mounts,One-offs,custom made.Another phone call was made to Erics son.
The calculator came out and a quick conversion made from Swedish Crowns to Norwegian Kronor and then to Euros to keep the Paddy happy.
Roughly 800 euros !!! I sprayed a mouthful of good Linea,what a waste !
Since then I have found that EAW [European] made them for the later model split receiver.
If you want to follow that up ,pm Cohannon who actually got these mounts for his Mannlicher Schonauer[did I spell that last bit right?]
Well there you go and I failed to get a moose on that trip[1st]

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote