THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    If you were to build a .260 Rem on a Model 70 action.....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were to build a .260 Rem on a Model 70 action.....
 Login/Join

Picture of Matt T
posted
Which barrel manufacturer, contour, twist, and length would you go with? I will probably be shooting heavier bullets for better results at longer ranges.

I've got a stripped FN action, and I am looking to build up a lightweight, mountain-type rifle. Stock will be a McMillan with Edge fill. Need to find a barrel that will provide excellent performance, yet still be aesthetically pleasing (since it's gotta look good).

Posts: 10 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a pac nor 1 in 8 twist 3 grove SS fluted 24 inches long # 4 contour next one will be a Benchmark same as the pac nor. The pac nor shoots very good just want to try something different

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a Broughton 8.5twist 5R finished at 24".

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
I'd go with a Broughton 8.5twist 5R finished at 24".

old Since you're going with a long enough action and want to use the heavier bullets , get it throated long enough so you don't have to seat the base of the bullets into the powder room. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got one in that Charlie Sisk built. It's on a blueprinted Vanguard action with a Lilja Match barrel, McMillan Sporter stock, Timney trigger, and Ceracoated metalwork. Finish is a dark drown, almost Plum color, with Mudpie splatter (like a Jarrett) in darker brown. Sisk rifles start at $5,600, but I bought out his show rifles, and so would sell it for $2,650 shipped if interested.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt T:
Which barrel manufacturer, contour, twist, and length would you go with? I will probably be shooting heavier bullets for better results at longer ranges.

I've got a stripped FN action, and I am looking to build up a lightweight, mountain-type rifle. Stock will be a McMillan with Edge fill. Need to find a barrel that will provide excellent performance, yet still be aesthetically pleasing (since it's gotta look good).

Brux #4 8.5" twist with interrupted fluting. Shot these with mine. First is 5 consecutive shots at 500 yard on an 8" steel plate. Second is 3 shots at 700. Last pic is the rig I shot them with. If using a short action (which I would), I would take the spacer out of the magazine and have the ejector shortened appropriately to allow maximum use of the magazine box.

John

Lord, please grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Matt T
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. The action I am using is one of the stripped FN SPR actions that CDNN was selling a couple of years ago, so it is a true short action. It's been sitting in my safe since, and I am getting ready to build it up.

Hondo, what model of stock is on your rifle?

Picture of Matt T
posted Hide Post
And what is the total weight of your rifle (if you know)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock is the McMillan Remington Hunter. Haven't weighed it, but guessing 9ish... Though not pictured so equipped, it currently has a Stiller aluminum 20 MOA base, Burris XTR rings and a 3-9 Conquest which seems to have lightened it up a bit.

Balance is key and good balance will make a rifle feel much lighter than it is. With the FN action being a bit heavier than a 700 or 700 clone,you might want to consider a bit heavier barrel to achieve good balance. That's why I mentioned a #4. It will likely shoot better than a ligheter barrel too. If you're going to put an Edge on it, you might want to go a little lighter on the barrel, with balance, again, being key.

John

Lord, please grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Matt,

This Pre 64 M70 has a #2 Krieger at 24". Note the long cone. Brings perfect balance to the rifle.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
good grief GSSP... that is a rifle! And anytime I scan a rifle from barrel to buttstock and don't see a rubber butt pad I get a big old grin on my face...just love to see the stock 'all the way out'!

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I too like to Big Grin

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Matt,

This Pre 64 M70 has a #2 Krieger at 24". Note the long cone. Brings perfect balance to the rifle.

Alan

tu2

Very nice!!!!!

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Matt T
posted Hide Post
That is an elegant rifle.

Which McMillan would be closest in shape to that stock? Compact/Edge? Or some other model? I'm really digging the long, sleek lines and open grip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Supergrade would probably be the closest.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:

Gorgeous rifle Alan!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just curious: Why .260 and not 6.5 Swede?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
+ 1 for Pacnor and connsider the 6.5x55. I have used Pacnor for a couple builds and they have been great to work with and their work is secind to none!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the "experts" claim that the shorter 6.5 Creedmoore case is superior to the 260 case for someone who wants to shoot longer/heavier bullets for a short action 6.5mm/.264" bore rifle. In a long action, I'd probably go with a 256 Newton or a 6.5-06 in lieu of the 6.5x55, but any 6.5mm/.264" bore cartridge will do the job if the shooter can put a properly constructed bullet on target.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote