THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: 243 & 80, 90 gr Hot Cores

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 243 & 80, 90 gr Hot Cores
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

seafire/Hot Core/1894, Fellows, I've never tried the Speer 90 grainers, but after reading your posts, I'm thinking about giving them a try. Want to share any loading data ? Have you ever chronographed any of your loads ? Thanks, BEN243

I followed the speer manual and went for H4350 with the 85gr BTSP. It was listed as giving the highest MV. The manual proved pessimistic, 45.5gr gave 3,250fps. 45gr is safe with the 87gr hornady sp so I think you will be in the 44.5/45gr ball park as a sane max load for the 90gr (manual not to hand). Likely get around 3,200fps or so out of a 22" barrel.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, I been using the 85 grain Sierra HPBT Gameking bullet in my 243's as an all around bullet for as long as I can remember. It does an outstanding job on both varmints and deer. Although I've tried just about every powder ever produced, I always drift back to H4831(SC). Although it probably doesn't give me the max velocity I could get with some other powders, it gives me a very accurate and consistent load. I also like the fact that it is not effected by temperature changes, so my POI does not change between the seasons. I'm stuffing my cases with either 48.5 or 49 grains of powder, depending on which of my 243's I'm using. My loads are somewhat compressed and giving me approximately 3150 fps, but I see no signs of pressure in my rifles. But if you try them, you might want to start a tad lower and work your way up. Thanks for your reply, BEN243.

Posts: 32 | Location: EAST COAST | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ben, I don't believe I've chronographed any of the 90gr Hot-Cor Loads, but I'll look and see. If I did, I'll let you know.

Only real problem is my main Bambi Blaster load uses H-450 which is no longer available, so it would be a waste of time discussing it for you. Well, unless you have some good old H-450.

I've also used some H-1000 , but it requires a tedious loading technique using a 30" arrow shaft for a l-o-n-g Drop Tube. It is enough of a hassle that it even irritates "me" (old amiable Hot Core ). So, it is not the best one to use either unless you need your teeth ground down from gritting them. On the plus side, it can be accurate.

Also had some fairly good results with H-4350, but I prefer H-414 or H-380 to it with loads straight out of the Hodgdon Manual that I worked up to.

Haven't tried any of the H-4831SC, but once my H-450 is gone, I intend to do so. From looking at it's Relative Burn Rate in comparison to H-450, it might be the one to replace my old Standard. If any of the other folks have tried it, I'd be real interested in their results too.

---

I know the above didn't give you any specific Loads, but each rifle is different. What works well in mine might not do as well in yours. Just working up from the Starting Loads in the Hodgdon Manual, using the Audette Method and watching for Pressure Signs is the best advice I can give you because it works great for every cartridge made.

By the way, Speer originally released the 90gr Hot-Cor back when Remington initially released the 6mmRem with the twist that wouldn't always stabilize a 100gr bullet. Remington long ago corrected that twist problem, but the 90gr Hot-Cor still works as well today as it always did.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
seafire/Hot Core/1894, Fellows, I've never tried the Speer 90 grainers, but after reading your posts, I'm thinking about giving them a try. Want to share any loading data ? Have you ever chronographed any of your loads ? Thanks, BEN243

Posts: 32 | Location: EAST COAST | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote