Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08?
 Login/Join

posted
Im trying to come up with a good compact rifle for my Dad to shoot next deer season. He hasnt been in many years and I know he doesnt want to lug his old 30-06. I was in the gunshop the other day and saw a compact ruger in 308 and 243.they both had a 16.5 inch barrel. Their website says this gun is also available in 7mm-08. Does anyone have any input on this cartridge? recoil and performance on deer mostly would be appreciated.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northeastern Oklahoma | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rambink

I've owned 2 7mm-08's over the years & am about to buy another one,a tikka continental for silhouette shooting.
It is an excellent cartridge especially with bullets weighing 150 grains or less,very accurate,low recoiling,slightly more than a 243,less than a 308 & definately much less than a 30-06,out hunting you wont notice the recoil but you might sighting it in at the bench.
I've never hunted deer with the 7mm-08 but have shot pigs 300 pounds+ with it with no probs,2 donkeys & a large scrub bull all one shot kills & figure deer out to 300 yards or so would not be a problem.
My only concern would be the 16 & 1/2 inch barrel on the ruger,all of my rifles have had at least 22 inch barrels & think the shorter barrel might cause a bit of performance loss.
I dont know how much that ruger weighs but a tikka with a 22 & 1/2 inch barrel weighs around 7 pounds & I think they also have one with a barrel around 18 inches as well,i'de also look at a remington mountain rifle & browning a-bolts as they are light weight rifles.

Tha 7mm-08 is a great cartridge & its performance loss in a short barrel will be no different from a 243 or 308 but will be alot better than some other cartridges in a short barrel rifle.

Good luck

Tumbo

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a BLR in 7mm-08 for several years now, and have had no problems. If I were buying one now I think I would get a Model 70 featherweight. I had a model 7 (an older model) that shot like a tack driver, but I sold it. I cronoed the 7 18 inch barrel with Remington green box 140 grain. It averaged 2750 fps. A featherweight is not much more than the 7, and you would get a 22 inch barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from a 16 1/2" barrel in a hunting rifle. It will be difficult to shoot offhand, it will ring your ears off with muzzle blast, and it will not bring out the full potential of a deer cartridge.

I personally buy a Remington M700 Mountain rifle. They come in blue/walnut or stainless/laminate, so take your pick.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Cossack>
posted
I's a near pefect caliber for deer. Mine is a Model 7 Remington in stainless with 20" barrel and synthetic stock. Weighs just 7 lbs, loaded with a Vari X III 1.75-6 Luepold scope. Loaded with 130 Barnes X it has cleanly taken every deer I shot at, including one at a measured 265 yrds.
I also shoot a 280 and 284, recoil of 7/08 is substantially less than either and it does about same ballistically, perhaps 100-200 fps less than either with comperable bullets and barrel length.
I too would stay away from a 16.5 " barrel. Shooting my .223 with 16" barrel in Contender (handgun) produces 400-450 fps less velocity than my rifle with a 24" barrel of the same caliber. Plus it's more difficult to keep a shorter barrel steady.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a model 70 Winchester FWT in 7-08 for about 16 years one of my favorite all time rifles.Couldnt tell you how many deer I have killed with it all but one were one shot kills and he was anchored I just finished him w/second shot.I can remember when it was hard to find ammo so have reloaded this round for years 145.s are ideal for deer.I persnally think this is one of the most underated unappreciated cartridges of all time.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote