THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    close range 6.5 Swede load recommendations

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

close range 6.5 Swede load recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
We have a permit to cull deer on our farm.
The population is totally out of hand and I'm getting pressured by my grand dad to drop as many as possible.
Most shots this time of year are 50-75 yards.
I've gotten the best groups out of my CZ with Sierra 160 grainers, followed by Sierra 140 grainers and then 120g Noslers.
Assuming proper shot placement, in your opinion, which bullet would provide the best performance at close range?
I was going to use the 160's since they were so accurate.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the 160s. All are up to the task.

At that range, 2000 fps would work fine, and not have much recoil. 75 yds will be a great 30/30 environment. I have found in a lot of experimenting that the 160 grain Sierra and Hornady both penetrate better at lower velocities than higher velocities. It makes sense since the 160 round nose was designed to be used in the older 6.5 mm cartridges, which had lower MVs.

Alliant Powder lists a load of 25 grains of RL 7 with a 160 grain bullet with an MV of 1960 fps.

Another one would be 25 grains or so of IMR or Hodgdon 4198. IMRs powder has proven to be much more accurate.

I load 6.5 x 55 a lot, but a lot of loads for the 30/30 with a 170 grain bullet are a good reference. Just don't start at max load on the 30/30 data, and of course use your head and work up.

Bet a lot of other guys on here, wish they had that problem to help take care of.

Cheers and Good shooting ( literally)
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
My accuracy load so far is 34 grains of IMR 4064, Lapua case, 210m primer.
Any guesses as to the velocity?
I'll try to get some photos/or will post results.
Thanks.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing first, the 6.5 x 55 likes slow burning powders the best, I would suggest that that you switch to Reloader 22, around 45 to 48 gr will get to around 2,400 to 2500 fps depending on you barrel lenght with 160 gr bullets. I find the Sierra 160 to shoot very well in all of my 6.5's. Hornaday RN's work great. Now you could go with a 120 gr Speer, 129 gr. Hornaday 125 gr Nosler Partition or either the 140 gr Nosler, Speer or Hornaday. I have shot a few truck loads of deer on control permits with a 120 gr Speer. Just about any bullet in a 6.5 is going to work well, I like the Speers a lot, they are just right for the swede. Try Reloader 22 its by far the best powder for the swede by far.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything is gonna work pretty good under your conditions. I'd be inclined to go with 120s or 129s just so I would not have to worry as much about where that bullet goes after it goes through the deer. The 140s and 160s are hell for penetration and it's a given that they are gonna go through and keep right on traveling.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
That's exactly why I'm hoping they line up.
I decided on the 4064 load because I wanted to use one that I knew was accurate and my rifle was zeroed for.
I don't have re22, I have re19 which quite a few people recommended for the 6.5 but hasn't given me a decent group with 140 Sierra SBT or 120g NBT.

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
One down, 250 to go.
I got one this evening while out on a walk through the fields. I checked the usual grazing spot, then turned and headed down towards tha electric fenceline which has been showing tons of droppings.
I would've walked right past her had she not grunted.
At first I was like what the heck was that?
Then I noticed a small doe looking at me from 35 yards or so.
I had to take a quick standing shot sice the grass and small trees were too tall for a more stable kneeling position.
As expected the bullet went right through.
Very light recoil and mild report
The bullet made a mess of the meat in the facing shoulder because of her angle. It was about a 1" furrow and 2-3" of missing ribs.
The deer ran about 25-30 yards, straight into a grove of multiflora rose and 20' Hollies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your shots are 100yds. or less and it's a fairly brushy area I'd be tempted to go with the Sierra 160gr. SPSP. I load mine with VihtaVouri 550, 39.2grs. It has a MV of 2400fps in a 24" barrel and is quite accurate. I've used it for moose in Ontario, and it packs quite a wallop. It does a great job of tearing up an animal's boiler room. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
That is the bullet du jour Cal.
I plan on getting a nice load worked up and tested with the 120's and 140's as well.